Hello - first time pool owner here

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, verify with your builder any restrictions on how your pool is maintained to confirm that your warranty will remain intact. Some builder require pool store testing and keeping valuse witin range that the store recommends. The problem is that not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100. I fyou really want to get fancy, I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Next, start reading Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Finally, more details on your pool would help - Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • The type filter you will have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, verify with your builder any restrictions on how your pool is maintained to confirm that your warranty will remain intact. Some builder require pool store testing and keeping valuse witin range that the store recommends. The problem is that not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100. I fyou really want to get fancy, I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Next, start reading Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Finally, more details on your pool would help - Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • The type filter you will have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Hi. thanks for all the info. I'll update my sig with additional info!