Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello - first time pool owner here

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello - first time pool owner here

Hi all. I am in the process of built my first pool. In-ground, gunite, 16x34 with spa. I'm still about 3-4 weeks to completion, but looking to learn the ins and outs from the Internet pool owners community.
    In-ground gunite geometric 34'x16'-6", 13,800 gallons. 7'x7' spa. Cobalt blue pebble interior finish. Equipment: Haywood 2.7hp EcoStar variable speed pump, Hayward 600 sf cartridge with Microban filter, Hayward 3/4 hp Booster pump, Hayward universal H series 400,000 FTU heater, Pentair Rainbow 320 inline Sanitation, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend, Color Logic 4.0 LED and Hayward OmniLogic P/S 6 wireless automation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello - first time pool owner here

Hello neighbor and welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

First, verify with your builder any restrictions on how your pool is maintained to confirm that your warranty will remain intact. Some builder require pool store testing and keeping valuse witin range that the store recommends. The problem is that not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100. I fyou really want to get fancy, I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Next, start reading Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Finally, more details on your pool would help - Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • The type filter you will have (sand, DE, cartridge)
    • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
    • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!

First, verify with your builder any restrictions on how your pool is maintained to confirm that your warranty will remain intact. Some builder require pool store testing and keeping valuse witin range that the store recommends. The problem is that not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100. I fyou really want to get fancy, I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Next, start reading Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Finally, more details on your pool would help - Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • The type filter you will have (sand, DE, cartridge)
    • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
    • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.
    Hi. thanks for all the info. I'll update my sig with additional info!
    In-ground gunite geometric 34'x16'-6", 13,800 gallons. 7'x7' spa. Cobalt blue pebble interior finish. Equipment: Haywood 2.7hp EcoStar variable speed pump, Hayward 600 sf cartridge with Microban filter, Hayward 3/4 hp Booster pump, Hayward universal H series 400,000 FTU heater, Pentair Rainbow 320 inline Sanitation, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend, Color Logic 4.0 LED and Hayward OmniLogic P/S 6 wireless automation.