CYA testing Chemicals

Mark R

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2013
Desert Southwest, USA
My CYA use to be about 70, I tested it today and it shows < 30. Is it possible it has dissipated, no rain to think of as I live in the desert. It's been about 2 years since I filled my pool and used stabilizer from big box store to bring it up to 70. I do top it off a lot during the last 2 summers.

Is it possible my R-0013 is old and not good anymore ? Or is it just naturally gone ? I use liquid 10% bleach to sanitize. Also maybe a gallon of acid every 2 weeks to keep it 7.2-7.6

Thank you

There are only two ways to get rid of CYA:
1. Drain and replace water. Evaporation doesn't count - you need to either backwash or pump water out of the pool and replace it with fresh water.
2. Algae can sometimes convert CYA to ammonia.

How old is your CYA reagent in your testing kit?

UNLV fan are we Mark? :) The R-0013 should hold-up for a good season or two if stored in a cool/dry place away from light. When was the last time you tested CYA other than today? Last season perhaps? Adding water after evaporation doesn't change the existing CYA level, and CYA won't "typically" disappear from water, although a very small amount can become consumed each month (3-5 ppm). So if you haven't tested CYA since last season (let's say Aug-Sept), I think it's fair to say you could conceivably have lost about 30-40 ppm just through normal expenditure/oxidation process. Add to that the "/- 15 ppm variance for CYA testing and it sounds like you may just need to add some more.

To me it sounds like you've lost a good bit from splashout. Think of all the water you've replaced from the kids doing cannonballs, water fights, and so forth. Losing 30ppm over two years sounds completely normal to me.

I would say regent is 2 years old. It's kept in the laundry room, cool and dark area..

First time checking it this year, last time was April 2015

Ill go ahead and add like a 1lb more of new stabilizer. I've never had alge.

Yes, I'm a UNLV FAN :bball:

Thanks for quick responses :

EDIT: no kids or splash out to speak of.

Added about 1.5 pounds of CYA I bought from Walmart today. I'll check it in 3 days and recheck in a week. I'm hoping it'll be at 60-65... If no movement with the dot test I'll order more of the clear liquid you put in the Little container that you shake and pour into the cylinder with the dot.

Water is pretty salty, I guess that's a by product of using bleach ? I plan on doing a drain next spring, I know my CH is totally out of wack (950-1000 ) due to the water around here. I guess every 3 years I'll do a drain. Wife doesn't like the salt flavor.

EDIT: 1 other thing while I was at Walmart is that I saw Walmart liquid 10% sanitizer in the pool section for like 3.95 a gallon. I didn't think that was a great deal so I bought 10 Walmart brand household bleach 8.25% for like 2.75 a gallon. I hope that was the cheaper way to go. I couldn't find that app that breaks down bleach % by the ounce..:mad::confused:

DOUBLE EDIT: I just found the conversion calculator on the bleach, not a huge savings but I save a little buying the 8.25% at the lower price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.