Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return eyelet positioning

1. Back To Top    #1

Return eyelet positioning

Hey all, hoping for some advice on how to position my return eyelets. I have 2 skimmers, 2 deep end drains and 3 returns.

#1 is in the deep end directly across from a skimmer (#1 on same side as shallow end skimmer)

#2 and #3 are in the shallow end directly across from my other skimmer

It's a rectangular pool for reference. Appreciate any help, thanks!
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Return eyelet positioning

You really want to create a wirlpool type effect so everything gets pulled into the skimmers

Use ping pong balls, mail packing foam, empty plastic coke bottle with cap on and throw in the pool and see if they get sucked into the skimmer, adjust the returns until they do
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Scsu74 View Post
    #1 is in the deep end directly across from a skimmer (#1 on same side as shallow end skimmer)

#2 and #3 are in the shallow end directly across from my other skimmer
    Given this layout, I would just point the returns right at the skimmer and push everything right into it. The only issue is that depending on the layout, it can create some dead spots but it is worth a try. I have used that technique on my pool with some success.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Given this layout, I would just point the returns right at the skimmer and push everything right into it. The only issue is that depending on the layout, it can create some dead spots but it is worth a try. I have used that technique on my pool with some success.
    So with the two together both should point at the skimmer? The one closest to the deep end is currently angled up so it creates a rippling effect
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Just experiment. It is hard to say what will work and what wont.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater