Pool Frog to Inline Chlorinator

May 26, 2016
Lansdale, PA
Hello! So excited- this is my first post! We have had a pool frog for 3 seasons- came with the pool, and what do we know? It was great for 2 1/2 seasons, then it was a mess. We ordered an inline chlorine feeder for this year, but we have a lot of bac pacs left from last year, and they were expensive. We no longer have the mineral reservoir that goes in the frog- only the bac pacs. My question is: is there any way to use JUST the bac pacs in the system without the mineral pac. It doesn't fit in correctly because it's supposed to sit inside the mineral reservoir, so I'm not sure if it would even work, but I am sick about tossing hundreds of dollars in Frog chemicals! And I do not want to spend $100 on a new mineral pac at this point. I'm just thinking maybe we could use the system until we get the Chlorinator, but without the mineral pac, I'm not sure. Thanks so much for any words of wisdom!!!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm afraid we don't promote the use of the frog or bac pacs. We utilize chlorine from regular bleach of that from a salt water generator to sanitize the water cleanly and effectively without harmful side effects like many of those mineral-type systems. Even the in-line chlorinator is fine for occasional use or vacation, but generally not ideal for regular/daily use as the tablets tend to increase CYA to a level that's too high. Have you had a chance to visit the TFP Pool School page (link below) to read about our TFP ABCs of Water Chemistry? You might find that very interesting. In any case, we're glad to found us and will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Out of control or no?

Hello! I hope I can get some advice from the pool chemists around here! We went on vacation and left our chlorinator do the work for a week. Pool was a little green/cloudy when we got home. Slammed... Cleared up. Tested-The color in my tester turned bright orange, off the chart. Never saw that before... And it stayed that way for 3-4 days. Took several days of NO chlorine to get it down. In the mean time, we balanced PH and alkalinity, waiting for chlorine to burn off. Pool looks great now, except for blackish spots of algae around the edges. New test results today-FC 3, TC 3, CH 130, CYA 60, TA 90, PH 7.6, Pho 2,500. I had the pool store do a test. They freaked out on the 2,500 Pho- wanted me to add 5qt 13 oz of phosfree. They also want me to add 20 lb 5 oz of hardness plus, and a black algae killer. In my reading, I think my FC is low?? I'm coming off of 2 years with the Frog system nightmare, so I have to figure out what real chlorine levels are supposed to be. I ordered the test kit you recommend- waiting for it to arrive. I guess I'm wondering if I am on the right track with what the pool store says- and they tell me FC of 3 is ok--- but I think it should be 5 or more, after comparing to CYA. Thank you so, so much! You all rock!

Re: Out of control or no?

Your FC should be 5 and you should have no visible sign of algae. What is the process in getting rid of the Frog....just stop using it.

Please keep all your posts under one thread so we can follow your whole story.

Thank you for the information on my FC level. We did stop the Frog this season. I just wanted to let people know where I'm coming from... In the process of re-training myself. I am sorry...I thought I was keeping this new post in one thread because I can see my original post above. I apologize.

Doopitup, I wouldn't let that FC drop all that much. Like Dave mentioned ... increase that FC and don't let it fall. When in doubt, always go to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) and compare your current CYA to your corresponding FC. That's the key to being algae-free (and it rhymes). :) (FYI) - For your CYA of 60 (if that store test was accurate) you could safely go as high with FC as "24" to perform a SLAM. Once your kit arrives, we'll know everything we need to know about your water and best course of action forward. Enjoy your weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.