Algae take over - need help

Whew, I'm glad your pump is okay!

I noticed that you said your FC dropped from 20 to 5 on Sunday, but your CYA is still 0. With no CYA your SLAM FC is 10, you really shouldn't intentionally increase FC more than a point or two above 10. CYA buffers FC, this makes it less harsh on your liner and protects it from the sun. Without CYA you are probably losing a lot of FC to the sun each day.

If you haven't added any CYA yet you need to do that now with a target of 30. Put the granules in a sock and hang it in front of a return or put the sock in your skimmer. You can squeeze the sock every now and then to help it dissolve faster. Once the CYA is added, your new SLAM FC will be 12.

Thanks so much, I'm hoping its ok, the PSI is still really low. I am adding the CYA now in panty hose in front of return.

I was adding bleach in anticipation of loosing bleach through the night.... I will be sure not to do that though!

So do I just continue to keep my bleach at slam level? Just discouraged by no progress, is this normal?

Let the stabilizer dissolve today and encourage its dissipation by squeezing often. Once dissolved, you can consider your CYA at that projected level and continue with your SLAM. I wouldn't swim though until the stabilizer is fully dissolved and in the water. You might want to confirm the CYA tomorrow .... IF we have any good sunlight. :)

Yes, just keep your bleach at SLAM level and keep brushing! Sometimes it is hard to see the progress from day to day, but here is where taking pictures can help. If you take a picture everyday of the steps/ladder going down into the water, you can compare the pictures and sometimes see progress that you otherwise would not have noticed.

Hang in there and stick with the SLAM, you will soon have sparkly pool to enjoy!

Ok guys, CYA added to get me to 30, pool brushed and cleared of visible debris, chlorine added to get to new slam level of 12 per PoolMath. This will be a little challenging to maintain because I don't have my new test kits so I can only see 5, 10 or 20. I will try and purchase a new kit tonight, the expenses are just adding up :(. It would have been far more cost effective to properly close our pool :( lesson learned.

Again, thanks so much for all of your help!

Good job! It sounds like you have the process figured out and are just waiting on your test kit :) You won't be very precise on the chlorine for now, but just do your best with what you have. Your main goal for now (before you have your test kit) is to keep the algae from getting worse. When your kit shows up you won't have to guess anymore so it will get easier.

Hey everyone, so we haven't seen much progress or so it feels like we haven't seen much progress. We got our new TF-100 test kit in the mail and tested everything today!! Our FC is a little out of control.

FC - 25.5
TC - 27.5
CH - 175
TA - 90
CYA - 75
PH 6.8

Obviously the FC is out of control high. The sticks are really a guesstimate by the color. We were aiming for 12 but there is no color for 12 ;).

We aren't really sure what to do now. Should I address the 6.8 ph or is that being affected by the high amounts of chlorine. Should we add some water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, your CYA is 80. At a _5, round up. The shock level for that CYA is 31FC per here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

So.... Is a partial drain and refill possible?

OK, the CYA test makes me a little uneasy bc it's not as black and white. I'm going to re-test the CYA again. We are on a well, we blew the motor last year filling the pool so we would rather not drain and re-fill at all cost. I can keep slamming the pool, it's definitely not clear and we just got the new test kit so I don't know if we passed the overnight FC loss test.

One of the 3 criteria for passing the OCLT is clear water, so I wouldn't bother with the overnight test yet. I would get the FC up to whatever level your new CYA requires if you retest. Your CC level is also at 2ppm.

The pH is a bit worrisome as pH tends to read high at elevated FC levels, not low. Do you have any borax on hand to raise it a little?

Okay. Not too much, though. Just until you get it to a "measurable" value above 6.8. You can do it in a few small doses checking inbetween.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you're wrong on the CYA also! The socks are out, no tabs anywhere, right?

OK so we are getting a little frustrated with this pool and the lack of improvement we are seeing :(.

We have re tested and this is what our readings are showing:

FC 25
TC 26
CYA 70
CH 100
TA 100
PH 7.5

I guess we just KEEP slamming? We have been slamming forever it feels like.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.