New pool owner - couple of questions

May 26, 2016
danville/ ca
Hello, I purchased a home in northern California that has an in-ground pool/spa combo. I've been reading through a lot of the info on maintenance of chemistry and think i have a decent understanding of what i need to do, but i have a couple of questions.

First, how do i determine the size/gallons of my pool? I thought i heard the pool inspector mention approximately 20,000 gallons, but how can i get an accurate number?

Second, (forgive my lack of terminology), both the pool and spa have a drain at the bottom (the pool also has a skimmer), and jets where the water returns. For normal filtering on a daily basis, how should i have my valves turned? In other words, should i only be filtering the water out of the pool and then returning to both pool and hot tub (so that hot tub overflows into pool)? I realize that when i'm using the hot tub, i'd have only the hot tub filtering and returning to the hot tub only. But what about every day use? The prior owner didn't know anything about his pool but he told me that he liked to have 100% of the water being filtered from the pool and then roughly 60% back to pool at 40% to spa.

That is all for now! I am waiting for my test kit so i can see where my chemistry levels are and go from there. Thank you in advance!

To measure your gallons you do
Length x width x average depth x 7.48

As far as the hot tub goes it really depends on your pH levels and if they normally run high or low. If they run highnormally, having the overflow could raise it even higher, if its normally low, the overflow may help raise the pH due to aeration.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The ratio of water to pool/spa is a personal choice based on water clarity, amount of spillway (aeration) desired, etc. I would tend to agree that on a normal day, you probably want a majority of water return to the pool to enhance the larger body of water's circulation. Some people will manually change that ratio each day for 30 min or so, or some have the variable speed pumps programmed to do that for them. Every pool is different, so you can adjust the flow as you see fit.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The ratio of water to pool/spa is a personal choice based on water clarity, amount of spillway (aeration) desired, etc. I would tend to agree that on a normal day, you probably want a majority of water return to the pool to enhance the larger body of water's circulation. Some people will manually change that ratio each day for 30 min or so, or some have the variable speed pumps programmed to do that for them. Every pool is different, so you can adjust the flow as you see fit.

Appreciate your response. do i need to have water filtered out of the spa? or is it OK to have the water only taken out of the pool and then returned to both the pool and spa (perhaps 70% to pool and 30% to spa). OR should i make sure that water is being sucked from both pool and spa?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I can't see your exact setup but I am almost certain that pulling water from both pool and spa is a good idea. The difference in gallons is HUGE so you might pull 80 - 20 or even 90 - 10 favoring the pool.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I can't see your exact setup but I am almost certain that pulling water from both pool and spa is a good idea. The difference in gallons is HUGE so you might pull 80 - 20 or even 90 - 10 favoring the pool.

The only concern there is that if something goes wrong with the pool suction and the pump starts pulling heavily from the spa, it could outpace the water being returned to the spa, run dry and damage itself. Richard had suggested to me when I asked this question to shut off spa suction completely and run about an 80% pool/20% spa return ratio. Since then I learned that there is a separate return just for the spa that's not connected to the spa jets, so I just run with the spa jets off, spa suction off, and 100% pool suction, which provides the spa with nice, filtered and chemicaled water and has the added side effect of sending floating debris over the spillway and into the pool for skimming. I turn the spa suction on whenever I brush the spa to get rid of anything that may have sunk in there while brushing once or twice a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.