Sand Filter, Intex 4,500 gal pool

lgldsr

May 18, 2016
Chicago, IL
Hi All,

As mentioned, we just purchased the Intex 18' x 9' x 52" Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool. With a capacity of 4,500 gallons I question whether the included sand filter is sufficient at 1200/gph. Any thoughts on this? Should I be looking at a filtering system >1200/gph?

Again, thanks.

Many thanks, really appreciate the input. Picking up the pool tonight. What is the frequency of backwasing dependent upon? It's purpose?

Again, thanks!
Frequency depends on how much dirt gets in the pool. Rather than type a whole bunch, I'll just refer you to Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter because it has some good pictures that show the innards of a sand filter and some flow diagrams down where it says Sand Filtration 101. It explains it better.

Frequency depends on how much dirt gets in the pool. Rather than type a whole bunch, I'll just refer you to Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter because it has some good pictures that show the innards of a sand filter and some flow diagrams down where it says Sand Filtration 101. It explains it better.
Thanks Richard!I also wanted to ask since this is my first time with a sand filter. If I understand correctly I still have to shock the pool water as I normally would with a conventional filter (cartridge) and everything else being equal? In other words, a sand filter doesn't require any additional chemicals in lesser or greater amounts than would a cartridge filter?

Thanks Richard!I also wanted to ask since this is my first time with a sand filter. If I understand correctly I still have to shock the pool water as I normally would with a conventional filter (cartridge) and everything else being equal? In other words, a sand filter doesn't require any additional chemicals in lesser or greater amounts than would a cartridge filter?
Nope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.