Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter, Intex 4,500 gal pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter, Intex 4,500 gal pool

Hi All,

As mentioned, we just purchased the Intex 18' x 9' x 52" Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool. With a capacity of 4,500 gallons I question whether the included sand filter is sufficient at 1200/gph. Any thoughts on this? Should I be looking at a filtering system >1200/gph?

Again, thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sand Filter, Intex 4,500 gal pool

it should work just fine, you can go to a bigger pump/filter it will allow more time between backwashes
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    it should work just fine, you can go to a bigger pump/filter it will allow more time between backwashes
    Many thanks, really appreciate the input. Picking up the pool tonight. What is the frequency of backwasing dependent upon? It's purpose?

Again, thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lgldsr View Post
    Many thanks, really appreciate the input. Picking up the pool tonight. What is the frequency of backwasing dependent upon? It's purpose?

Again, thanks!
    Frequency depends on how much dirt gets in the pool. Rather than type a whole bunch, I'll just refer you to Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter because it has some good pictures that show the innards of a sand filter and some flow diagrams down where it says Sand Filtration 101. It explains it better.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Frequency depends on how much dirt gets in the pool. Rather than type a whole bunch, I'll just refer you to Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter because it has some good pictures that show the innards of a sand filter and some flow diagrams down where it says Sand Filtration 101. It explains it better.
    Thanks Richard!I also wanted to ask since this is my first time with a sand filter. If I understand correctly I still have to shock the pool water as I normally would with a conventional filter (cartridge) and everything else being equal? In other words, a sand filter doesn't require any additional chemicals in lesser or greater amounts than would a cartridge filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lgldsr View Post
    Thanks Richard!I also wanted to ask since this is my first time with a sand filter. If I understand correctly I still have to shock the pool water as I normally would with a conventional filter (cartridge) and everything else being equal? In other words, a sand filter doesn't require any additional chemicals in lesser or greater amounts than would a cartridge filter?
    Nope.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Nope.
    Again, thank you. You've been extremely helpful!