Getting rid of pressure cleaner -- what to do with port?

syntax53

Silver Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just bought a dolphin active 30i because the old Polaris 180 that I inherited was on its last legs. Both the unit and the pump. Anyways, wondering what I should do with the old port hole for it. If I leave it as is (remove the pump and reconnect the line-- [it junctions off of the return line via what looks like 3/4 hose]) then it will continue to take some of the water from my jets and there would just be a whole in the wall blowing water. I see that as a bad idea because it could interrupt the circulation. I see a few options...

a) see if I can find a eyeball that fits the hole and treat it as a less-powerful jet without changing the plumbing too much, other than reconnecting it after removing the booster pump

b) re-configure the plumbing with a true 3-way split and put an eyeball on it so all jets are equal pressure (though I assume the previous pressure pump line would end up with more pressure in this case because it's closer than the others)

c) disconnect it from the plumbing and plug the hole or just leave it open (remembering to empty it during the winter still)

p.s. I have a "oasis" style pool I suppose that sort of resembles a kidney shape, but with a couple extra curves. Two jets on one side, two skimmers opposite them, with the current pressure cleaning port in between the skimmers. I also have a bottom drain.

Is this line the same OD as the rest? Then you could just turn it into another return, like with just an eyeball fitting. You could install a fountain feature either from a purchased product or a homemade PVC project. Pretty easy to do. Back pressure of a fountain feature would keep flow higher at other returns and you could even put a valve on the fountain or the line itself to turn it on or off.

It looks like it's the same. I'd have to double check. However, the plumbing leading to it is not. There is an adapter off the main return with what looks like a 3/4 inch garden hose screw. It juts out the side of the return. Then it goes from a hose off that adapter to the booster pump and then hose to another adapter back to 1-1/2 pvc down to the port in the pool.

So I could just remove the pump and join the hose. Or I could replace it all with true pipe and have them all the same diameter all the way through. Or would I be better off just having two more powerful jets on the opposite side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.