craigslist find - Rocky's 3a

Oct 20, 2015
Huntington, NY
just ordered a clear 12mil 20x40 cover for my pool and i was shopping for reels. before ordering a 'cheap' real i figured i'd search on craigslist locally and found someone selling a rocky's 3a with a (brand new )ray maxx gold/blue cover for 550. I turned down the cover since i wanted to go clear and also the cover was 16mil. managed to get the reel for 300. I was anxious that it would look hideously ugly but it its not that bad. best part is its easy enough to move it completely out of the way when the pool is in use. looking forward to +10 degrees without having to use any extra power!

one thing though, she gave me some extra ribbon for the straps but i dont think there is enough to replace the 2 that were cut. i have all the extra clamps etc. what is a good material to use for the straps instead of ordering the rocky's kit, since i already have the hardware?

i'm greatly appreciating this forum. if not for it i would be spending tons of money on electricity trying to keep my pool warm this summer instead of just getting a cover!

QadjeAa.jpg

zfaW2Py.jpg

Love my Rockys reel too. Did you install anchors into the cap stones? If you can, it makes it pretty easy for one person to cover the pool. Reeling it up to soothe my OCD cover tendencies still requires 2 though.

If you can find a used or unwanted roadside banner or festival banner, that material is great for strapping. I believe they are called vinyl banners. They have an internal mesh, just like the strapping material. Cut it into strips and you've got it.

Love my Rockys reel too. Did you install anchors into the cap stones? If you can, it makes it pretty easy for one person to cover the pool. Reeling it up to soothe my OCD cover tendencies still requires 2 though.

If you can find a used or unwanted roadside banner or festival banner, that material is great for strapping. I believe they are called vinyl banners. They have an internal mesh, just like the strapping material. Cut it into strips and you've got it.

I plan to install anchors into the cap stones, i literally just picked it up today! either that or i might make a little platform for it off the edge of the pool and anchor it into that. perhaps even enclose it. great idea about the vinyl banners! i'll try that.

as you can see the cap stones on my pool are pretty "sharp" (not really sharp but, i wouldn't want to scrape the bubbles against a 90 degree stone edge) on the edges, i'm weary of any sort of contact between the blanket and that edge as its been reeled/unreeled. any ideas on what to put there maybe some sort of tape to go over the edge so that it is not a sharp/rough edge

Such a pretty back yard, Jeff. Great deal on the reel too :goodjob:

Yip :flower:

Nice reel! Nice pool! Nice property!

thanks both of you!

i'm greatly appreciating this forum. if not for it i would be spending tons of money on electricity trying to keep my pool warm this summer instead of just getting a cover!
That's great, Jeff. Stay with us and keep reading and learning. We hope you'll consider becoming a supporter. We've added some nice perks and you'll have the Incredibly High Prestige of being one of the Grand Poobah's around here.

That's great, Jeff. Stay with us and keep reading and learning. We hope you'll consider becoming a supporter. We've added some nice perks and you'll have the Incredibly High Prestige of being one of the Grand Poobah's around here.

haha, I definitely will be a supporter soon! i think its safe to say that this forum has already saved me way more than any of the supporter options cost and i haven't even had my first swim yet lol. i've already been a grand poobah at the store several times already. sent a few people here and answered a bunch of questions for people. had some guy who was talking about shocking his pool and explained why he shouldn't shock with dicholor bc it'll raise his CYA too much too quickly, which he proceeded to remove a bunch of from his cart and buy liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.