Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Algae Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Algae Pool

New to pools... I used the pool the summer of 2015 without any problems. Decided to leave it up, filled and uncovered over a mild winter and now it's green. Trying to figure out if it's best to drain and start over or if it's worth fixing using BBB instead of high priced chemicals.

hth 6-way liquid drops test:
    Total Chlorine .5
    Total Bromine 1
    Ph 6.8
    CYA 40
    TA 0
    Total Hardness 110

Intex 15'x42" AG Metal Frame Pool, 3,110gal, Krystal Clear Catridge Filter Pump, model 637R

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Algae Pool

Hello and welcome to TFP! At just over 3K gallons, your pool is right at what we call a "seasonal" pool. Might just be easier to drain it, or most of it anyways. But the products we use to clear a green pool from algae are basically regular liquid bleach. But you do need the right test kit (i.e TF-100 link below). So it's really up to you. If you decide to invest in the TF-100 (great value by the way) and decide to clear the algae by using the TFP "SLAM" technique (link below), we'll be happy to assist you. Let us know how you would like to proceed and we'll be glad to help. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!