My pool was opened three weeks ago. Things have seemed to go well so far with the method, I began managing my own chemicals last year using this site.
Here are a few recent measurements (Taylor K-2006c kit)
pool: gets a bit dirty each day - windy here and lots of plant/tree stuff/debris blowing around
Last weekend, I started noticing chlorine consumption around 4-6 ppm per day. For reference, at the end of last season I was putting about 2 ppm from bleach into the pool each night.
Thinking the 4-6 ppm consumption was high and was trending higher, I decided to shock the pool two days ago. I brought FC up to 22. By the end of the next day, it was below 10. So, I added more chlorine (8.25% bleach) last night to about 23. This morning, it was 22. At mid-morning today, it was 18, and by 1:30 pm it was 10. The water is still clear. There is a smell, chloramines?, and has been for these few weeks.
Isn't this level of FC consumption unusual? Should I shock and hold again tonight? This morning I did not add more FC to hold 20+ because I thought it held to a 1 ppm loss over night. The pool is on the south side of the house, is in full sun all day, but I do have CYA at 50.
any insights will be appreciated. thanks