Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - Continuing Confusion

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - Continuing Confusion

I had my pool company come by today for a 1 hour demo of my pool equipment for a 30,000 gallon in ground pool with salt chlorinator. During the process he advised me not to add calcium as that will be somehow problematic. I don't recall specifics unfortunately. So I returned the 25 lb bag of calcium to the pool store where I was lambasted for following such ill-advised information. Now I have contradictory information, and I'm here hoping someone will be able to shed some light on this issue.
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Continuing Confusion

If you have a plaster pool, a certain amount of calcium is required for the health of the plaster. Please see below in my sig the Recommended Levels link. Now going too high in another matter and not good either. But that chart is good to follow.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Pool Owner - Continuing Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    If you have a plaster pool, a certain amount of calcium is required for the health of the plaster. Please see below in my sig the Recommended Levels link. Now going too high in another matter and not good either. But that chart is good to follow.
    I have a vinyl liner. According to the chart, I still need lower level of calcium?