Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do all filters have a multiport valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do all filters have a multiport valve?

I have been reading about vacuuming and saw someone mention 'vacuuming to waste' I research that a bit and see that some filters have a multiport valve that allows them to perform different functions. Do all filters have these? I found the manual for my pump and nowhere does it mention a multiport valve, back washing, waste, etc.

Am I missing something, or do I just vacuum directly into my skimmer?

Thanks
    10k gallon, AG, DE - Jacuzzi Avalanche AV60, SLR9 1.5hp 2 speed pump, installed 2005, TF-100, filled with City Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do all filters have a multiport valve?

No they don't. Normally you'll find them on sand and some DE filters. They look like this:
    Valve.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If you're like me with a cartridge filter, you will connect your hose to the skimmer and vacuum directly into main filter.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

So if my pump doesn't have a MPV, I guess I couldn't vacuum to waste? I did some more research and it looks like it's a 'sliding valve' that automatically switches the filter to backwash when the bump handle is pulled up.

Got it! Thanks!
    10k gallon, AG, DE - Jacuzzi Avalanche AV60, SLR9 1.5hp 2 speed pump, installed 2005, TF-100, filled with City Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownhavoc View Post
    So if my pump doesn't have a MPV, I guess I couldn't vacuum to waste? I did some more research and it looks like it's a 'sliding valve' that automatically switches the filter to backwash when the bump handle is pulled up.

Got it! Thanks!
    That's a push-pull valve and it's only used for backwashing. There is no recirculate or waste position on that type. All it does is reverse the flow through the grids and direct the dirty water out the waste pipe instead of back into the pool.

Attempting to vacuum with the valve in the backwash position can wreck the screens. Normally, water flows from outside to inside and then back to the pool. The DE powder cakes up on the screens. Anything you filter out whether from the skimmer or vacuuming ends up stuck to the outside of the DE. When you backwash, it gets pushed off and out. If you try vacuuming on backwash, the stuff you're vacuuming will end up inside the grids (where there is no DE to cushion them, so things can damage the fabric) and not out the waste pipe. And then as soon as you return to filter, most of that stuff will get blown back into the pool. And what doesn't will likely be forever stuck inside the grids.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

'70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!