Intex inlet leaks

Shoei1

May 8, 2014
Corona, CA
So I bought all new inlet and outlets and new valves and both leak from the threads. Has this happen to anyone else? I have tightened as much as I can because I don't want to over tighten and bust the threads and have a even bigger problem. Right now i just have a cup under catching the water but that just isn't ok with me for new parts. I installed these the same way last year with no problems. Only thing I can think of is I got a bad batch.

intex.jpg

Have you tried using plumbing tape? That should solve the problem.

Thanks you for your input and not to sound like a jerk, but I am aware that would fix the problem but I'm not draining my pool for such a small leak and it also shouldn't be leaking. If I would have known I would have taped the the threads as I do with any plumbing. Just wondering if Im the only one.

Im hoping with how much minerals we have in the water that it might seal itself but that's wishful thinking I'm sure.

sounds crazy but I had a new return that didnt fit my old Intex plugs. So I could work on the threads, I rubberbanded a sandwich baggie nice and tight around the return on the inside of the pool. I dont know what size inlets you have but on the smaller Intex inlets you have that black plug you can pop on at the inside once you remove the screen. That stops all the water to fix the threads. No, it shouldnt be doing it but if Intex wants you to send back the defective parts, you'll have to do something while everything is shipping or if you decide to try and fix it. either way. :)
Just a thought...it also could have gotten cross threaded when you put it on.

Can you tell if the water is coming from the valve side or the outlet side? Just thinking out loud, if the leak was on the outlet side, maybe the rubber gasket is not sealed well. If from the valve side, then all the above mentioned thread suggestions apply. I don't remember, is there an o ring or a gasket on the valve where it screws onto the outlet? If so maybe a little silicone grease would help?

It is the rubber gasket on the inside that is leaking, been there - done it. Only thing to do is drain, take it apart, clean and put a very little film of Vaseline on the rubber gasket, the reassemble. Just needs a little help in sealing sometimes.
I have used Vaseline on these gaskets for the last 4 years with no issues.

I had to replace the step down or L shaped gasket on the plunger valve a few years ago in the middle of summer. I just got my wife to hold a bowl over the intake and I unscrewed and replace the gasket on the outside. Make sure you close the other valve before hand!! We only lost what water was in the hose and with the wife holding the bowl it kind of created a suction against the intake sealing any more water from leaking out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to replace the step down or L shaped gasket on the plunger valve a few years ago in the middle of summer. I just got my wife to hold a bowl over the intake and I unscrewed and replace the gasket on the outside. Make sure you close the other valve before hand!! We only lost what water was in the hose and with the wife holding the bowl it kind of created a suction against the intake sealing any more water from leaking out.

Might have to try that.

One option you also have is to put a secondary gasket between the large flange nut and the liner. Have someone hold a large bowl over the housing on the inside, loosen off the nut and install another gasket. Might be able to find something at you rlocal big box, or just make one from a piece of rubber.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.