Need help please!!

May 26, 2016
Astoria/NY
Hello, I just purchased an Intex easy set up pool (1800 gallons) from target. I went to a local pool store for help with my chemicals because I wasn't comfortable with adding chemicals the very first time without an experts guidance. I think I was given the wrong information from the pool store. I'm going to tell you what I was instructed to add and what levels I am getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Free Chlorine- I was sold a Liquid shock product - I put it in 1 and a half gallons (Which I now know was way too much) It's been 4 days and it's FC is finally back to zero- I'm planning to add 8 ounces tonight when I get home.

pH- I was sold a pH increasing product of some sort- The color on the test kit she sold me shows it should be orange for 7.2, orange/red for 7.8 and a red color for 8.4. Mine is Pink! I think it's way too high. She instructed me to add 4oz.

Total Alkalinity- It was a powder type product- my test strip kit shows green for 80, muted green for 120, dark green for 240(high). My test seems to match the high color.

I have 2 small children and they are really excited to get into their new pool but I'm nervous because I'm reading some nasty things on the internet (go figure) on what could happen with these levels.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you John...

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It's a bit linking drinking from a firehose at first but you'd be best served by starting here Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools and in the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Once you've made it through those, come back with more questions.

With your high TA level, if the test strips are even ball park correct, you'll likely need a chemical that REDUCES pH not increases. Dry acid products are OK for seasonal pools for convenience. Muriatic acid is better but must be handled with care.

John we KNOW what you are going through! Been there, done that, gave up on the pool kind of thing for me!

Joel has given you some great reading to do.

I would like to ask this-what did they sell you to test with? I am guessing "guess" strips from what you said but want to make sure.

Kim:cat:

Welcome! Soon you will be trouble free. The information seems overwhelming at first, but soon you will be an expert and pool snob, lol.

You should get one of the recommended test kits. It is impossible to give you advice without accurate results. For example, your test strip shows that your CYA/Stabilizer level is 100 which is way too high. The only way for it to be 100 is if you added solid forms of chlorine (pucks, powder) or added stabilizer/CYA/conditioner.

Here is a comparison of test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The best value is found here: TFTestkits.net

Haha that's good!! I need a kit, I know. Here's what I did, I went to home depot and purchased some muriatic acid I put in 2 cups and the levels came down. I added some pool shock this morning and turned the pump on. Hopefully all my levels hit the right marks and my kids can use this pool. I never realized how much goes into maintaining a pool. Thanks for the help everyone and the laughs Griswald. Thank you again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.