Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help please!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help please!!

Hello, I just purchased an Intex easy set up pool (1800 gallons) from target. I went to a local pool store for help with my chemicals because I wasn't comfortable with adding chemicals the very first time without an experts guidance. I think I was given the wrong information from the pool store. I'm going to tell you what I was instructed to add and what levels I am getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Free Chlorine- I was sold a Liquid shock product - I put it in 1 and a half gallons (Which I now know was way too much) It's been 4 days and it's FC is finally back to zero- I'm planning to add 8 ounces tonight when I get home.

pH- I was sold a pH increasing product of some sort- The color on the test kit she sold me shows it should be orange for 7.2, orange/red for 7.8 and a red color for 8.4. Mine is Pink! I think it's way too high. She instructed me to add 4oz.

Total Alkalinity- It was a powder type product- my test strip kit shows green for 80, muted green for 120, dark green for 240(high). My test seems to match the high color.

I have 2 small children and they are really excited to get into their new pool but I'm nervous because I'm reading some nasty things on the internet (go figure) on what could happen with these levels.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you John...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help please!!

Welcome to TFP!

It's a bit linking drinking from a firehose at first but you'd be best served by starting here Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools and in the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Once you've made it through those, come back with more questions.

With your high TA level, if the test strips are even ball park correct, you'll likely need a chemical that REDUCES pH not increases. Dry acid products are OK for seasonal pools for convenience. Muriatic acid is better but must be handled with care.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

John we KNOW what you are going through! Been there, done that, gave up on the pool kind of thing for me!

Joel has given you some great reading to do.

I would like to ask this-what did they sell you to test with? I am guessing "guess" strips from what you said but want to make sure.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok I will read through the material. Thank you for replying.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes its test strips pool readings 5-26.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

You are holding the test strips at the wrong angle. They should be face down in the bottom of your trash can.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

They should be face down in the bottom of your trash can.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome! Soon you will be trouble free. The information seems overwhelming at first, but soon you will be an expert and pool snob, lol.

You should get one of the recommended test kits. It is impossible to give you advice without accurate results. For example, your test strip shows that your CYA/Stabilizer level is 100 which is way too high. The only way for it to be 100 is if you added solid forms of chlorine (pucks, powder) or added stabilizer/CYA/conditioner.

Here is a comparison of test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The best value is found here: TFTestkits.net
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

8. Back To Top    #8

Haha that's good!! I need a kit, I know. Here's what I did, I went to home depot and purchased some muriatic acid I put in 2 cups and the levels came down. I added some pool shock this morning and turned the pump on. Hopefully all my levels hit the right marks and my kids can use this pool. I never realized how much goes into maintaining a pool. Thanks for the help everyone and the laughs Griswald. Thank you again.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    You are holding the test strips at the wrong angle. They should be face down in the bottom of your trash can.
    LOL! This needs to be in Pool School!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

"I never realized how much goes into maintaining a pool."

Invest in the good test kit and follow the advice these good people give, and it is really pretty easy to maintain a pool.
    Priscilla
    16x32 inground vinyl, 15,000gal, Sta-Rite filter 200 lb. sand filter, Century 1 H.P motor, built 2000, TF 100 testkit with stirrer