Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Planning a party. New to SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Planning a party. New to SWG

So I have my pool almost where I want it, but still trying to find the sweet spot for generating FC.

Right now I'm at:
    FC 7
    CC 0
    Ph 7.6
    TA 90
    CYA 75
    CH 180 (tho with vinyl, I haven't checked it lately)

If this were still chlorine alone, I'd know what to do, but I'm too new to SWG and don't want to take chances.

Should I bump up chlorine before "big swim" or do it after? And if so, should I just use bleach to give it a good bump? My SWG has a "Supergenerate" option. Is it better to use that? If so, before or after and for how long? We will have 5-6 kids, and 15 adults although not all adults will swim.

I wanted to be a help this year instead of a pest, but this is a last minute thing.

All advice appreciated.
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Planning a party. New to SWG

Yes, bump it up before and check again after. The SWCG is great for maintaining, but use the liquid for these out of the norm situations. Higher bather load means higher chlorine usage. You'd hate that it got below the recommended FC level and then have to fight an algae bloom. This is one of those situations where an ounce of prevention is much cheaper than the cure.
    CYA of 75 never go below 4 with a SWG, Normal Range sis 6-11 Shock is 29 and Mustard Algae Shock is 42. You can swim up to shock levels. Maybe bump it up to 11, and test at the end of the day, and recheck.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    CYA of 75 never go below 4 with a SWG, Normal Range sis 6-11 Shock is 29 and Mustard Algae Shock is 42.
    I thought with a CYA between numbers that you would round up, so 75 would be 80? And with a CYA of 80 the target FC level, according to the chlorine/CYA chart, would be 6. Where are you getting a range of 6-11?
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

Perfect! That's exactly what a needed know. Thanks so much!
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you use pool math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    There's a suggested FC Levels section towards the bottom.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Yes, bump it up before and check again after. The SWCG is great for maintaining, but use the liquid for these out of the norm situations. Higher bather load means higher chlorine usage. You'd hate that it got below the recommended FC level and then have to fight an algae bloom. This is one of those situations where an ounce of prevention is much cheaper than the cure.
    CYA of 75 never go below 4 with a SWG, Normal Range sis 6-11 Shock is 29 and Mustard Algae Shock is 42. You can swim up to shock levels. Maybe bump it up to 11, and test at the end of the day, and recheck.

7. Back To Top    #7

And, just FYI, you can turn it down some after the party. You can run in the 4-5 range quite safely

(I am typing this as I see the "pool guy" drive up the driveway across the street... if my neighbor only knew better...)
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

1 jug of 8.25% bleach adds 4 ppm FC to my pool. I always add a jug before the party and another after the party.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

If you use pool math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    There's a suggested FC Levels section towards the bottom.
    Ah, didn't scroll down far enough on PoolMath. We are in the same situation with a big party coming up so this is good to know!
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system