Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushing is king?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brushing is king?

So while I've been waiting on my TF100 kit to arrive, I've been going through old threads and just soaking things in. In the past (going back to my teenage years when I helped maintain my grandparents pool), we seldom brushed the pool unless there was noticeable algae on the walls. My grandparents pool was under large oak trees, and we vacuumed it constantly. Fast forward 30 years, and I now own my first pool. There's very seldom anything on the bottom other than some dead earthworms and a few small leaves, but I vacuum the pool regularly. What I mean is, I vacuum the ENTIRE bottom of the pool to waste. I move quickly, but it takes 15-20 minutes and 2-3 inches of water out of the pool. I usually have to over fill the pool with city water before I vacuum, and let it run while I vacuum so that I can get the entire bottom covered, then run another hour or two after to get back to the proper level. I have been doing this every 1-2 weeks.

My pool is plaster, so brushing is work. Plus each time I do vacuum, it kicks up a milky residue that makes the pool cloudy, so I've just figured I need to vacuum more often to get that up instead of brushing it. The last couple days of research here seem to have revealed to me the error of my ways. The problem is that I need to quit wasting time/money vacuuming/refilling the pool, and spend more time brushing until I can get most of that cloudy stuff through the filter and backwashed out of the pool.

Am I on to something there?
    Jason - Mobile, AL

~ 10 year-old 25,000 Gallon IG with Spillover Spa, Plaster, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward pump, Second pump for spa and blower, booster pump for Polaris
    Old Polaris control system, City Water system, non-working gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brushing is king?

Or get a robot. Seriously it is one of the best investments I have made, along side going salt water. You have a pretty big pool, and the time and effort you'll save with a robot... what can I say?

I have a Dolphin Z5, and if it got stolen today, I'd be on the phone tomorrow with Epic to get another one.
    Dolphin Oasis Z5 Pool Cleaner | The Future of the Dolphin Pool Cleaners | Epic Pool Supply
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Am I on to something there?
    Cha-ching!

Yeah, you need to get some testing done to discover why the calcium is coming off your surfaces. The TF-100 will be well worth the wait, particularly in your case. When it gets there, of course work your water through the tests but I am particularly interested in your pH and CH........Let's see where they fall out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I also need to make my posts shorter. Lol!

Jason - Mobile, AL

~ 10 year-old 25,000 Gallon IG with Spillover Spa, Plaster, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward pump, Second pump for spa and blower, booster pump for Polaris
    Old Polaris control system, City Water system, non-working gas heater