Pool refilled with fresh water, what next?

Feb 28, 2016
CYPRUS
I live in Cyprus and have just drained my pool due to the CYA being high. What are the first steps after refilling it. It is a vinyl lined pool, I have a glass filter fitted. I am ok with volumes etc but not sure what are the first steps are, ie do I add chlorine first or do something else , any help much appreciated.

You will definitely need to add chlorine, but how much to add and any other adjustments needed will all be based on your test results. How are you testing your water? Do you have one of the recommended test kits? If you post the results for your current water as well as your fill water we can probably give you a better approximation of what you may need to adjust.

Do you have easy access to liquid chlorine? How about to stabilizer (CYA) sold alone? How about your test kit...how do you test?

Sometimes folks out of this country are limited in their options, so I wanted to check first.

Thanks for your replies. I use a 5 way test kit and Aquachek strips for the CYA. I can get liquid Chlorine but only at 4% strength but the cost is only 7 euros for 20 litres. Also I can get CYA from my pool shop. The latest test was,
FC O
Ph 7.8
TA 30
CYA 0

Ok then! We don't usually advocate the use of "Guess-Strips" because we swear by the FAS-DPD drop test for FC, but you may be limited there so I'll just move on....

Use the PoolMath Calculator <link up at the top of this site> and input your information on the left column, then your goal on the right column and it will advise you how much to add. Don't forget to click on the bottom where it asks for your source of chlorine, you want to use Troublefree.com suggested goal levels, and that your pool is vinyl.

Be careful to not allow algae to get a foothold to your pool since your testing is somewhat limited. Any chance you can order a Taylor's K-2006C or the preferred TF-100 test kit from Amazon? The TF-100 is the one you really want.

Holler back if you have any other questions :)

Yip :flower:

I'm also in Cyprus, have a look on ebay.uk, they have the test kit on there, the only problem will be shipping reagents when required.
The strips in my opinion are very hard to read, they're handy when thats all you have though.
i bought a photometer from Panoramic pools in Protaras 120 euros, it seems to be pretty accurate (my tests against the test they did instore). you get a about 10 test strips for each test, apart from cya reagent which is 12E a bottle, the other strips are 12E for 100, (thats each bottle).
Liquid bleach/chlorine at high % levels is a problem here, i have a friend whose wife works for the dairy dept in the government, she has sourced me some 12 - 14% liquid, i just need to contact the guy and find out how much the minimum order is and of course cost! Will try and let you know through the forum?

Mick, Oroklini

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, already looked on Ebay as well as Amazon, only kits I could see from Ebay were from the States which unfortunately would get hit for import duty. I only use the Strips for CYA, I use a titration test kit for everything else, when I took a sample into Lako for testing I compared their results with mine and they were very close to one another. I just wanted confirmation of the CYA before ditching all my water. I have just added CYA and liquid chlorine to the pool, used the pool math calc for the amount of both needed, just put the strength of the chlorine as 4%. We have a cleaning supply firm about 5 minutes from my villa, 20 litres of 4% bleach is only 7 euros :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm also in Cyprus, have a look on ebay.uk, they have the test kit on there, the only problem will be shipping reagents when required.
The strips in my opinion are very hard to read, they're handy when thats all you have though.
i bought a photometer from Panoramic pools in Protaras 120 euros, it seems to be pretty accurate (my tests against the test they did instore). you get a about 10 test strips for each test, apart from cya reagent which is 12E a bottle, the other strips are 12E for 100, (thats each bottle).
Liquid bleach/chlorine at high % levels is a problem here, i have a friend whose wife works for the dairy dept in the government, she has sourced me some 12 - 14% liquid, i just need to contact the guy and find out how much the minimum order is and of course cost! Will try and let you know through the forum?

Mick, Oroklini

Hi, could you please tell me the type of photometer you purchased? I think it would be better if the results I obtain were more accurate.

Hi again, purchased one of the photometers today from Panoramic, powered it up and the tests have changed on the meter. There is no CL1 but they have added tests for copper, phosphate and CHH. Contacted Andy at Panoramic and he said to use CL3 for the free chlorine test, have not done it yet as not too sure which strip to use? Did you have this problem? If so which strip did you use for the FC.

Mine is the same, the numbers relate to the order the tests are in, Al 1, ph2, cl3 and so on
the strip for FC is DPD 1, then using the same water, reset back to zero and then read again using the DPD 3 strip which gives you combined chlorine.
Make sure you zero the meter just before you do each test,
there are plenty of videos on youtube for this tester
HTH Mick

Here are my latest results using the Pool Exact EZ,
FC 2.33
CYA 56
TA 89
PH 7.4

I have added some more liquid chlorine to raise the FC to 4ppm Are these figures OK? Many thanks for you help.. I will put my pool, equipment details in later.

If your water is clear and I round-up your CYA to 60 on the Chlorine/CYA Chart, then your daily "target" FC would be 6 - never lower than 5. So always watch that and maintain it. If your water ever gets cloudy or you see algae, your SLAM FC level would be 24. pH and TA look fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.