Replaced AG liner filled with fresh water and now its green!

cedar

May 26, 2016
Greenwood Delaware
Hello,

I am new to this site and I need help bad! Here is a little background on my Spring every year. Every year I seem to run into nothing but trouble when opening my pool for the summer. I end up going back and forth to the local pool supply store numerous times and it usually takes most of the summer for them to figure it out. I personally think they do it on purpose to convince me to spend more money on worthless chemicals. Then after spending hundreds of dollars thay tell me to floc it every time it gets green and tahts their solution. I know there has to be a better and cheaper way to accomplish my goal, a clear pool!

Last week I replaced the liner, changed the filter sand, and repaired the laterall assembly in the sand filter. After I filled the pool 3/4 I added about 60 oz of liquid Bleach (the bottle says concentrated, 8.25% sodium hypochlorite, 7.86% available chlorine). I did this because I still had to install the skimmer and I knew it would be a few days and figured it might help with algae growth. the next morning when I woke up the nice fresh well water was green but you could still see the bottom!

So off I went to the pool store to get the water tested and the results are as follows:

Saturation Index: -253
Free chlorine: 0.94 ppm
Total Chlorine: 0.97 ppm
combined Chlorine: 0.03 ppm
pH: 6.4
hardness: 107 ppm
alkalinity: 13 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 3 ppm
Copper: 0
Iron: 0.1
borate 0

Thay recommended 23 lbs alkalinity plus, 1 quart of stain stop, 17 lb, 7 oz calcium plus, 1 tablet poolife 3" multipurpose tablet, 1 gal or 4 lbs of stabilizer & conditioner, and 30 lbs Endure.

Please let me know how to proceed. I promised I would have the pool ready by June 11th for my daughter's birthday party.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on my iPad so I don't have all my links, but stay away from the pool store. I believe your suspicions are correct.

If those numbers are to be believed (pool $tore testing ins notoriously poor) you need stabilizer from WalMart or Lowes, and borax from the grocery store for now.

I'm sure someone will be along with some more detailed information in a minute.

I checked this link and it is for smaller pools. I don't know what to do.
Yup, those instructions are for smaller pools that are taken down each winter.

I'm on my computer now and can type a little better.

First, our thoughts on opening and closing, but this won't help this year. Always close late and open early. Algae is much slower to reproduce in cold water. If you keep your pool open in the fall until the water gets below 60 degrees it will reduce the possibility of algae growth. Now, when you open is important too. You want to open before the water gets above 60 degrees. If you wait until the water warms algae is beginning to grow. You will end up running the pump a little later in the fall and earlier in the spring but the savings on having to deal with algae is wonderful.

This year is what comes down to a leap of faith for many people. You are getting instructions form a bunch of people on the internet that you don't know telling you to do almost the opposite of what the pool stores tell you. I will ask, how is the pool store advice working out? You gotta trust us if you are going to follow our system.

First, I said this already, but it needs repeating - My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something that is good for their cash register but many times won't help your pool.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store. It will take work, their is no magic potion that will clear the water instantly.

Second, not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

We want you to learn how to control your pool. We will not make fun of you, as most everyne on this forum sshowed up just like you - with a green pool that the pool store didn't help.

While you wait for your test kit to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

You will find that we believe mast anything you need to maintain your pool is available at places like Lowes or WalMart. The pool stores want you to use "specialty" chemicals, we are going to teach you what the generic equivalents are.

At first it will seem like you are drinking from a fire hose, lots of information and it may confuse you. Relax, we have all been there.

When it comes down to it there is very little you can do to destroy the pool in a short period of time. The pool store sells with scare tactics, we don't.

So, ready to trust the crazy people on the web?

I notice your on well water. Green and clear is indicative of metals, possible iron. I'd suggest a sequestrant such as Jacks magic. Your ph AL is low according to their test but you really need a good test kit to test yourself. All the pros here can help get you fixed up.

Yes, I am ready to trust the crazy people on the web. I will order the test kit. Is there anything I can do now while I wait for the test kit. Also, since this is well water couldn't I just get Delaware public Health water Section to test it. It is free for homeowners. Would there tests cover all the parameters that relate to pool water?

I appreciate all the help, thanks.

Yes, I am ready to trust the crazy people on the web. I will order the test kit. Is there anything I can do now while I wait for the test kit. Also, since this is well water couldn't I just get Delaware public Health water Section to test it. It is free for homeowners. Would there tests cover all the parameters that relate to pool water?

I appreciate all the help, thanks.
While you are waiting....

Add 1/2 bottle 8.25% (most are called concentrated) bleach to the pool slowly in front of a return each day with the pump running. No scents, splashless or other fancy stuff. Bleach. I get mine at Dollar General, but WalMart and a bunch of other places are available.

Take a few bottle of water and visit several pool stores to have the water tested. All we really care about he testing is what they say about metals. Iron, copper & the like. As they say yo need X, Y or Z just nod your head and say, oh yea great, I've got that at home I'll take care of it. OK, I admit, I get great joy in doing this just to see what junk they are going to try to sell me.:D

If Delaware public Health water Section does a metals test, that would be great also. Anything else they test really won't help much. The deal with looking for stuff living in the water and by the time we are done pouring bleach in your pool there will be nothing left living. And, we will prove that with testing! The culprit from well water is normally iron. I have property in the mountains of NC and I feel I can smelt nails from the iron in the water. I still wonder what I'll do once we move there & I need to fill a pool and spa with it.

You may have metals, but I bet you also have algae. Once you get your test kit we can start testing to prove/dis-prove the algae part. Then, once we whip the algae the metals can be dealt with.

Please keep a spreadsheet of all the money you spend following the advice of crazy people. At this point my expenses include a couple of bottle of muratic acid to reduce pH per season and about 1/2 bottle of common household bleach each day. There are other options for you in the future like automated liquid chlorine delivery or a salt water system, but lets walk before we run.

I gave you a couple of links in Pool School. Read them and ask questions. Again, our goal is to have you understand the water in your pool. It really isn't rocket science.

OK that sounds great. I will take some water to the other stores in the area tomorrow and post the results. I am curious as well if they are consistent. In the meantime I will put some bleach in the pool. I will also take a sample to public health water and get a test done and post those results as well. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.