Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying Mule Team Borax...

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying Mule Team Borax...

This is ridiculous!!!...

Got - 4 boxes from Safeway... (all they had)
    Got - 8 boxes from Target... (all they had)
    Got - 6 boxes from the other Safeway... (all they had))
    Got - 6 boxes from the other Target...(all of them)

Up to 24 boxes.

Wife's on her way to get more from the WalMart... Will have that count in about an hour.

I need ~30 boxes total.

If anyone in my area needs Borax for any reason, they may need to wait a week

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying Mule Team Borax...

Now the prices will go up in your area, increased demand.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Now the prices will go up in your area, increased demand.
    You mean, for the next guy!
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Couldn't you just get it in bulk?
    http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/025.htm
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Couldn't you just get it in bulk?
    http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/025.htm
    That'd be too easy! (Didn't know about that - but it looks about the same price...)

Gilroy has one box left at walmart, if anyone needs some to do laundry...

6. Back To Top    #6

Now I'm Pi**ed.

Was short on acid. Needed 4 more gallons. So, I goes to "The Borg" (Home Depot) and grab EIGHT gallons so I could have a couple extra, just-in-case.

Then I pour it in - and... wait, this doesn't smell like it should. It's fainterrrrr (looks at label...........) $$%##@####@#*%*^*& - Its not 37% HLC, but 14%!!! And I paid more for 2 gallons of 14% than I would have at Leslie's for 2 gallons of 37%.

Grrrrrrr... And now everything's closed.

- Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

I clean the stores out as well...according to the pool calculator I need 44.5 boxes....so I have a ways to go, I've decided I will do it slowly, and just pick up four to five boxes a week.
    I used to have a ......40,000 gal pool, concrete, Hayward SuperPump 1.5 hp, 325 lb. sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The POOL IS NOW BORATED!!!

just added 6 mor boxes for a value of (according to TPC) 49ppm borate - looks like 50 on my test strip.

pH is a little low, so I'll add one more box over the weekend.

Coolio...

9. Back To Top    #9

How low is a little low? If your ph is 7.0 or above I would stop where you are and wait a few days and retest pH. I think you will find it will be in range.

10. Back To Top    #10

It was 7.2 yesterday... I'm tooooo tired this morning to test it right now

11. Back To Top    #11

Borates at 49-50 ppm and pH is 7.2? You're done! RELAX AND ENJOY!

12. Back To Top    #12

Now I've got 8 screaming 12-13 year-olds in the pool... Cannon-ball contests, etc... If there's going to be a pH rise, it should be today... and a boatload of Cl to shock their usage out tonight. The readings around 9pm should be interesting (wish I would have tested it before they all got started...).

- Jeff

13. Back To Top    #13

IF you brought the TA to the range I recommended in my guide to adding borates then you should find that your pH will coast at aoun 7.7 for an extended period of time. When the pH climbs above 7.8 add acid but don't bring it lower than about 7.5. The lower you bring the pH the faster it will rise.

14. Back To Top    #14

I am short one box of borax and was hosed by the acid home depot sold me (and just didn't do the math when I was close to done). I could add another box w/o harm. 1-2 boxes ought to get me into the 7.5 range. That is if Gilroy has resupplied after my raids throughout the week

With as much splashing as there was today, there wasn't a rise at all in pH - still at 7.2. But (most) of the kids are gone and I'm dawg tired. Those that are left are all going to see the MONSTER JAM tomorrow!

I may yet live through the weekend.

- Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

No, I meant did you get your TA in and pH in the ranges I said in my guide BEFORE you added the borax? If you followed my guide it should have all worked out just fine without any probems.

16. Back To Top    #16

I was at T/A of 80 and pH of 7.5 when I started.

Again, what threw me off I think was the HD 10% acid, and I may have over compensated by a ~gallon of 30% at the end because I had to get more from Leslie's.