Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Progress

1. Back To Top    #1

Progress

Opening the pool this year has been an experience for sure. I have issues I have never had in the 10 years we have had the pool. I took the cover off about 2 weeks ago and was promptly greeted with green water . So, assuming muck in the "swamp" vacuumed the bottom (broke the skimmer basket in the process-which I learned when I finished vacuuming), brushed sides and bottom then scooped out what I could see. I poured in an entire 128oz jug of 10% bleach, prayed to the pool goddess, put the new skimmer basket in and let the filter run all day and night. Morning comes and I can see the bottom of the pool through the mostly clear water 1st new issue overcome. Backwashed the muck out and moved on.

2nd new issue; worms! Seriously.... Why did these denizens of the underworld not die with the bleach!? Scooped all of them out with the net, vacuumed and brushed the pool again. Backwashed again because the worms made my skin crawl and I just had to! Added water and kept filter running. 2nd issue overcome.

Right after this my TF100 kit arrived

pH: 6.8
    FC: 0
    CC: 0
    TC: 0
    CH: dnt
    TA: dnt
    CYA: dnt

Added borax and bleach to start water balance.

Currently this is where I stand:

pH: 7.5
    FC: 2
    CC: 1
    TC: 3
    CH: 75
    TA: 170
    CYA: 0

I know the FC is low but I don't know if I should tackle that or deal with the TA level first. I didn't add anything and I have never had a level that high. Suggestions and/or ideas?
    5300 gal AG
    Hayward Perflx Series EC40AC
    Pentair 1 HP--2 Speed OptiFlo Pump
    Intermatic P1101 Outdoor Pool Timer
    TF 100--test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Progress

You didn't go through the SLAM process completely. Likely, you are not finished. I'm sending you back to Pool School for a refresher.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Since I actually have a FC level now, should I get the CYA up first, otherwise how do I know the FC shock level?
    5300 gal AG
    TF 100--test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    Since I actually have a FC level now, should I get the CYA up first, otherwise how do I know the FC shock level?
    Pool Math will tell you the shock level based on your current CYA. I would recommend getting it up to about 30 and start your SLAM during/after that. Start with CYA in calc as 0, then at 30 once you have the CYA dissolved into the pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Just finished brushing the pool and added a few ounces of bleach (per calc) and will test FC again in about an hour. Trying to get 3 then will add stabilizer for target of 30 for an effective SLAM.
    5300 gal AG
    TF 100--test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Good work, Flame, Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School