Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maybe should be in this thread. Bleach question

1. Back To Top    #1

Maybe should be in this thread. Bleach question

Ok so I have a couple options for getting some bleach.

Option 1 2.5 gallon jerry jugs of bleach 12.5% for $10.95 each. I asked and the bleach was made a week ago. They make their own bleach on site.

Option 2: Go to Ocean state Job Lot and buy the 4 gallon case at $12.00 also 12.5% Just not sure when made etc.

Opening the pool so will be doing the SLAM process.

Cheers!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand-Variable Speed, Hayward EcoStar SVRS3400
    filter size - Sta-Rite S8M150
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maybe should be in this thread. Bleach question

You can check the date codes on chlorine- it usually is listed by Julian date and includes the year and day of the year made.

So 16146 would be 2016, and the 146th day is today
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Unless the on-site folks can provide some certification of concentration, pH and contamination sources, I'd opt for the Ocean State stuff.

Chlorine bleach can be highly susceptible to degradation if the pH is not properly adjusted or if there are metal contaminants like iron. A place that makes it "on-site" is not likely to have good quality control methods in place.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

The on site place is a pool place. Savol Pools. Savol Pools of East Hartford, CT - Pool Repairs Maintenance

So I should be better off with Ocean State as my source for liquid chlorine.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite

5. Back To Top    #5

$11 for 2.5gal ($4.40/gal) vs. $12 for 4gal ($3/gal)? Seems like an easy decision to me. Plus, 1g jugs are easier to carry and pour (I have used both, depending on the prices).
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbrig View Post
    $11 for 2.5gal ($4.40/gal) vs. $12 for 4gal ($3/gal)? Seems like an easy decision to me. Plus, 1g jugs are easier to carry and pour (I have used both, depending on the prices).
    Thank you will be going to Ocean State after work. Just wasn't sure if the one that was made last week would be better off and warrant the higher cost of the cheaper brand.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite

7. Back To Top    #7

Walmart has 10% for $2.50
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.