Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening help (Newbie)

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening help (Newbie)

So my wife and I bought a new house. It was repo and we got it for a steal!! Had a pool in the backyard, but, no one lived in house for 3 years. Not sure how long the pool sat before the previous owners moved out. It is a 24 feet round. There was also all the old pool equipment in the garage, pump, filter, hoses, nets. The winter cover was in the pool. So 3 years of leaves were in it, too.

For the last 3 weeks I have been working on it. Thought I got most of the leaves out. Shocked the **** out of it. I got the water to change from a black, brown, holy cow, color to white. Talked to the people at the pool store, they said they don't normally recommend Floc, but, in my case it might be the best bet. Put it in and I had crystal clear water. BUT, there were still a ton of leaves in it. Too many to vacuum, I tried, but, maybe I did something wrong. The filter just seems to plug up when I tried. So I worked on getting more leaves out. But, now all the stuff that settled to the bottom is floating again.

So, my question is, will the Floc I put in settle everything to the bottom again? Or will I need to add more. There looks like some big, heavy pieces of stuff are in there, so I'm hoping after shutting off the filter, they sink.

I was going to run the filter again and shut it off tonight and see what it looks like in the morning.

Bottom line, is it looks alot better now, but, still has a long way to go.

I don't have a test kit yet, I have been using the pool store to test the water. But, so far, the only things they have had me do to it, is shock and Floc. Luckily they haven't tried to sell me a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for any help, Jamie
    24' round pool with a Hayward S166T Sand Filter and a 1 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening help (Newbie)

Welcome to TFP!!!

They have already been selling you stuff that we likely do not recommend, like floc and "shock".

What specifically have you been adding to raise the chlorine level? It could actually be causing problems.
    Also that floc could gum up and make a mess of your filter.

You REALLY need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, best value is the TF-100 with XL option from tftestkits.net, and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Continue to scoop out everything you can.

Please add your location (add the State) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I updated my location and pool specs.

I will continue to scoop out everything I can.

Thanks, Jamie
    24' round pool with a Hayward S166T Sand Filter and a 1 HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on stealing a new pool!

Next time you post click the Show Sig box below the text box so your sig will show up.

+1 on getting a TF100 w/XL from TFTestkits.net. I've been buying mine there for 4 years now. Good stuff!

Scoop and read this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach