New to pool scene. Need guidance.

May 22, 2016
Mo
Just moved into house with pool. Opened up great and clear now is cloudy and can only see to bottom at about 4 feet.
Numbers below are from tf100 test kit. Tested twice to make sure I was correct. At least hope I was.

Total chlorine 2.5
ph 7.2
35-40 cya
2.5 free chlorine
3.5 combined?

2nd test cya and ph same as above.
Fc test took 5 drops to clear then it went back to pink. 12 drops to stay clear.
Cc test took 10 drops to clear.
Hardness is super high 600 or so. I vacuumed on waste and filled with new water several inches and
will check hardness later today.
Alkalinity was also very high 180-200

do these seem possible.

If if so where should I begin.

Thx in advance.

Beginning of my second slam. I cannot get FC levels above 1ppm. Cc around 2.
I added about 8 gallons of 8.25 bleach and it barely moved.
Do I need to drastically increase?
My cya is around 45-50
Supposed to be in the 90s and sunny here for the next 10 days at least.
I have an automatic pool cover. Would it be wise to cover pool during the day while not being used while slamming?

All the other readings and water clarity is great just trying to stay on top of this.

Many thanks for the advice so far.

Slamming ???'s

Beginning of my second slam. I cannot get FC levels above 1ppm. Cc around 2.
I added about 8 gallons of 8.25 bleach and it barely moved.
Do I need to drastically increase?
My cya is around 45-50
Supposed to be in the 90s and sunny here for the next 10 days at least.
I have an automatic pool cover. Would it be wise to cover pool during the day while not being used while slamming?

All the other readings and water clarity is great just trying to stay on top of this.

Many thanks for the advice so far.

If you have CYA I suspect you don't have ammonia. However, try this.

Add enough chlorine to get to 10 FC (3 gallons of 8.25%, use pool math if your percentage is different)
After 10 minutes of circulating, test FC.
Add enough to get back to 10 FC
Repeat until you have less than 5ppm loss in FC in 10 minutes.

Let us know how it goes.

Your auto cover should not really be closed when the pool is at slam level. It's just exposing it to higher chemical levels than it needs to be exposed to. You are only losing a few PPM (2-4) to the sunlight. Most of what you are losing is due to algae.

Filter on 24/7 during the whole SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Slamming ???'s

Try testing 10 minutes after the next bleach addition. Let us know how much bleach you added and what the results are.

Don't cover the pool during the slam. The pool needs to breath to burn off the CC that accumulates during a slam.

Yes, the point of dosing to 10 and seeing if you drop quickly to 0 is so you don't waste bleach by going to 25 (or whatever your SLAM level is) and then having it go to 0 quickly - while determining if ammonia might be a concern. You do not have the symptoms of ammonia so I suspect you will be able to keep some FC after that short 10-20 minute timeframe. Then, yes, you will increase FC to SLAM level and keep it as close to SLAM level at all times during the SLAM.

I added three 121 ounce bottles of 8.25%. After 10 min This increased me to 10 FC and a 2.5 cc.

Poured in one more jug and hopefully that will get me close to 18 FC.

How often would u recommend testing and would you go closer to the 20 fc mark or 16.

Im right at 45-50 cya.

Thanks again.

If we call your CYA 50 your slam level is 20. Add enough to reach 20ppm and test in 1 hour, repeat. When you get to the point that the FC only drops 2-3ppm you can wait longer between tests, like 2 hours

Ok. Thx.
Here are the results so far. Waited about 10 min after adding bleach to do each test

Noon fc 10. Cc 2.5
added 2 gal. Then at

1230. Fc 7?? Cc 2.5

2 more gallons.

1240 fc 13.5. Cc 2.5

2 more gallons!!!

1pm 17.5 fc and cc 2.5

added 1 more gallon

At 115pm. Fc level is 15 and cc dropped to 2.

Dumped 2 more gal. In and headed off for supplies.

does it sound like I'm on the right path?
Thoughts on How much bleach I will need??

Again, thank you all

Updated pool numbers. I've used about 20 gallons so far. Is that acceptable. Any suggestions ideas are welcome.
Should I give a bigger dose before calling it a night around 10 or 11pm.

Began with 7.0-7.2 ph and cya 45-50.

Time. Fc. Cc.

Noon. 10. 2.5

1230. 7. 2.5

1240. 13.5. 2.5

100. 17.5. 2.5

115. 15. 2

130. 20. 2

250. 6.5. 2

310. 21.5. 2

410. 13. 1.5

430 17. 1.5

515. 19. 1.5-2

The number of gallons of bleach used is irrelevant. It will take what it takes. Probably less than 100! [emoji4]
Keep the FC up to SLAM level as much as possible, that's how to make the quickest progress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.