I'm in Vermont and the weather is starting to turn toward summer. We're about to convert our pool to chlorine from Baquacil.
I posted a quick intro in the new person forum, but the short version is that we are first time pool owners, have gone two years with Baquacil, fought cloudiness last year, and are converting to chlorine thanks to the great info on this forum.
I have been mentally planning to do this since last year, so when we closed it, we didn't add any Baquacil chemicals. It has been about 6 months since I added any Baqua-anything.
Last night I scooped out a bunch of leaves and gunk (as much as I could see), and brushed the bottom a couple of times to move algae into suspension. I opened the returns, put the skimmer basket in, put in some old filters and powered up the pump. I'm hoping to remove as much organic material as I can before we start the conversion. It's pretty soupy green right now...
The pool is a 30'x15' oval, flat bottom 4.5' deep, vinyl liner with built in fiberglass stairs. I think it is around 12,000 gallons or so. It was originally filled with a truck with municipal water (2 years ago) and since has been topped off with well water. We do not live in an area with water restrictions. The pool has a Haywood 3/4 hp pump and a 4 cartridge rainbow filter (pretty low tech) - no heaters or other devices attached.
I've read a ton of info here on TFP, and have played around with the pool calcs. I bought the TF-100 XL kit, although am not entirely sure all I need to do with it. I'm getting ready to start in a couple of days.
I (only?) have 17 gallons of 8.25% bleach (all my local Lowes had in stock). I have no idea how many gallons it will take, so any guidance there would be appreciated. I'll pick up more if I need them, but also read they can lose potency over time if not used, so don't want to over do it.
I stopped by the pool store to buy some filters and mentioned that I was converting and asked if they had any advice. They were not very helpful (thank goodness for this site!). The only thing they mentioned was that I may need to put in some non-chlorine oxidizer to burn off the sanitizer. I haven't read that anywhere here yet - is that true in your experience?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.