First time SLAM

Jul 12, 2013
Clarksburg, MD
All, getting started with the SLAM and while most things seem clear...one question. How soon after X number of jugs of bleach is added do you test? I'm guessing 30 minutes or so, but would like any other opinions.

18,000 gallon in ground with Pump running at 2000 RPM.

Conventional wisdom says
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
The first test could be as soon as thirty minutes, which is about as much brushing as anyone can take at one stretch. If you have some oddball problem, it'll show up then because all the FC will be gone. But you'll go through a ton of reagent if you go that frequently, so order refills of the FAS-DPD now.

OK...next question....proceeded to do the drop test which I've done regularly over the years, so fairly familiar. In any event, things started out great...extremely pink water. After 40 drops the water turned a murky color, almost like dirty water, maybe rusty looking...kept going to 60 drops (I was targeting FC of 27-31) and the water never lightened...just stayed the same.

In the past with the drop test, water would turn perfectly clear after X number of drops, and I've never seen this light brownish/reddish color. Thoughts? Is this because of the high FC count? Should I have kept going beyond the 60 drops (already poured it out so would have to go again)? Chlorine container was cleaned and rinsed prior to starting.

CYA is ~70 as I just checked

SWG pool just in case with the cell turned off. Pool in direct sunlight 8+ hours a day.

I would have stopped at the first non-pink water.

If you are rolling with that high of a FC use a 5ml sample instead of 10, and each drop counts as 1, not 0.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so SLAM or should I say lack there of is complete. I knew I probably didn't need to slam the pool, as the water was crystal and FC was fine, but when I opened the pool I had half a million dead worms and two frogs...so it grossed me out and decided a slam was warranted.

In any event...OCLT passed as I expected and new question......how long does it take for FC to drift down on its own? And is there a way to help this drift? I started at 31 yesterday AM....by 9 PM it was 30.....this morning at 630am it was 29. So basically over 24 hours it dropped 2....is this to be expected drop? We have a party this weeken and I'd like to get it closer to target range as quickly as possible.

Thanks

It is perfectly fine to swim up to SLAM level. 2 ppm is perfectly normal FC loss per day. Depends on sun, bather load, etc. It doesn't need to be target to swim. :)

Turn off the SWG and let the sun shine on the water and the FC will just keep dropping. As said above, it's safe to swim in it. Don't tell anyone how high the FC is, or that you did it with <gasp> bleach. Just let them marvel at the clarity and modestly accept their compliments.

After a few dozen people have gotten in and out, your FC will be a lot closer to your target, if not below!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.