First Time Pool Owner -- Can't Beat The Green!

May 26, 2016
Denham Springs, LA
Hello everyone! I'm Ashley and I'm about ready to drain my pool and fill the thing in. I moved into a house that had a pool that was more like a frog pond. After draining it and having the liner replaced my pool was beautiful all through the winter but now that it's summer I can't seem to keep it clear. My water was green and then I visited my local pool store and after $200 in chemicals it was a beautiful cloudy shade of blue. I spent the whole weekend cleaning it and running the polaris and after a large rain storm it turned green again. I added 4 bags of shock - nothing happened. I added PhosFree - nothing happened. Last night I added Copper Algaecide and some liquid bleach because my chlorine level was reading 0. This morning it looked slightly less green, but still green none the less.

I have an inline chlorinator but it seems like it doesn't always work. I've had to prime the air out of the line and I've also cleaned the bottom drain hole using a paperclip. It is setup to the top feed water line but at times when I open the cap just to check it, there will be no water at all but it makes a draining sound. I turn the pump off and then turn it back on with the cap off to ensure water fills the tube. I've been fighing my chlorine level so much that I added a floating chlorine container in the pool but I'm unsure if my chlorine is low because of the algae or the chlorinator.

I've been searching everywhere for someone to educate me on pools and chemicals that wasn't trying to sell me their brand of chemicals. Surely I don't need 17 different products to throw in my pool daily / weekly / monthly...right? Btw, my pool is 30,000 gallons.

Welcome Ashley! Man do I have some good news for you. I would be happy to help you maintain your pool. Let's start from the beginning. If you're looking for the easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to care for your pool chemically, the BBB method is what you need. What is the BBB method you may ask? BBB is an acronym that stands for: Bleach, Baking Soda, and Borax. Essentially you will use Bleach to chlorinate your pool, Baking Soda to raise your total alkalinity, and Borax to raise your PH. Your chlorine is what keeps your pool sanitized, your PH is a measure of the acidity of your water, and your alkalinity acts as a buffer for your PH change.

You do need to grasp the basics of pool care first however, that way you will truly understand what these chemicals do for your pool. Please read "Pool School". The link is on the upper right hand corner of this site. You can't miss it. Start from the top and read down, clicking the topics as you go. Also, this is very important as well, purchase a DROP-BASED test kit such as the TF100. Test strips are not accurate and will cost you more money on chemicals as you will not have an accurate reading in the first place. The TF100 includes everything you need in a test and is very affordable.

Also, we don't recommend you use powder shocks, chlorinating tablets, or metal based chemicals such as copper algaecide. Most of these add unwanted chemicals to your pool, or chemicals you don't want too much of. For instance, Cyanauric Acid(sold as stabilizer/conditioner) protects your chlorine from evaporating in the sunlight. Without it, your chlorine would burn off almost immediately. Tablets, dichlor powder shocks, and trichlor powder shocks, add this constantly to your pool when your use them. Too much of this, and your chlorine is rendered ineffective. The only way to lower your CYA level is to drain your pool partly and refill. Not very cost effective. Metal based chemicals, such as some algaecides, add metals to your pool which can stain your liner.

Like I stated earlier, it seems you're looking for a simple way to maintain your pool. Look no further. Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions you may have. It would be an absolute pleasure to assist you.

Welcome to TFP!

Right! You don't need that stuff and it isn't helping your pool or your wallet. The TF100 test kit is the best value in terms of number of tests and accuracy. It uses Taylor reagents but gives you more of the tests you need vs a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I have been buying mine from TFTestkits.net for 4 years now.

Tell us all about your pool by adding your pool info to your signature, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Start here in Pool School, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

After you memorize that go here, Pool School - Getting Started

Thanks everyone!! I read up on the BBB method and read Pool School and the SLAM guide and within a week my pool was just as beautiful as the day we had the liner replaced. The site is so great and I now confidently can say I won't ever buy another product from the pool store!!!