I have no self-confidence!!

midlander

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2008
I need reassurance. Short history: Last spring our CYA was out of control. Drained, refilled, drained, refilled. TA was out of control. Acid and aeration until we wore out the compressor and had to buy another one. Everything was great the rest of the summer. Uncovered the pool two weeks ago, didn't look too bad. Hit it with Clorox and ordered a Test kit refill. It came yesterday. I tested the water this morning and I have 0 stabilizer!! Here is where I need forgiveness. I couldn't believe it so I took a sample to the PS. I know it's forbidden, but I was weak. They said I have 0 CYA also. Here are their numbers. FC 7.68, PH 7.7, Cal 270, ALK 120 and the ever present Phosphates 300. (I know to not get excited about that number.)

Here are my test kit numbers: FC 13.5, CC .5, ALK 140, Cal 300, Ph 7.8. I have no confidence when it comes to my ability to color compare the Ph or when the Alk and Cal actually "change" color, so those could be off.

OK - so where did my CYA go? Put the pool in 2003 and the stabilizer did nothing but go up. Then I got it where I want it by leaving a huge carbon footprint on the world, and now I want it back! I have read that it can turn to ammonia, but why did it choose this winter to do so and not when the CYA was over 200? Will you wonderful people will please tell me what to do now? Thanks.

What to do next? Simple, add some CYA.

CYA sometimes disappears over the winter and sometimes doesn't. No one really knows why, though there are a couple of guesses.

Other than CYA, your numbers are reasonable enough, nothing you need to take care of right away.

I just posted about losing my CYA the last two winters, so as Jason said, don't be worried about it, stuff happens.

Add some CYA (I did yesterday), keep testing, and you'll be fine. Remember that the CYA will take a few days to fully dissolve after you add it, so wait about a week after adding before you test for it, so you don't waste chemicals.

I would also consider getting a magnetic stirrer. I have one, and it makes it easier to do these tests. The color changes are basically instantaneous when you use a stirrer.

There is a thread here about them, and I posted in it a few days ago.

Randy

midlander said:
Uncovered the pool two weeks ago, didn't look too bad. Hit it with Clorox...tested the water this morning and I have 0 stabilizer!! ...my test numbers: FC 13.5, CC .5, ALK 140, Cal 300, Ph 7.8. OK - so where did my CYA go? ...why did it choose this winter to do so and not when the CYA was over 200?
You are doing GREAT :goodjob:

As Jason's said, there are some thoughts as to why (and mine was at 0 as well), but the thing to remember is that you know what your pool should be and how to get there.
Have faith in yourself: Opening a pool to "not too bad" is pretty darn good! 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.