Chlorine at zero all of a sudden

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
Ok, starting to feel stupid. Something went wrong.

FC 0
CC 0
PH 8.2
CYA 70
TA 80
CH 300

Pool is clear.

The only thing different is that I added ProTeam Metal Magic initial dose for a new pool since the concern that PB provided it and expected it to be used for warranty purposes.

On 5/24 in the evening the Metal Magic was added.
On 5/25 FC measured 0. Added 64oz of Chlorine - Using the K-1000 kit
On 5/25 after about an hour, it still measured 0. Using the K-1000 kit

Now:
-used the FAS-DPD and chlorine is still zero
-Surprised by the PH going up to 8.2, have not seen that kind of jump, yesterday it was at 7.5.

Added 30oz MA to bring PH down

Added 60oz of Bleach

Thanks for your help. I think I am regretting adding the Metal Magic.

With new plaster, you are going to be fighting that pH rise for a while it's normal. Don't worry about the metal magic too much.

Are you familiar with the ammonia test/cure?

If it hasn't eaten your CYA it's probably not there. Regardless,

Here you go from memory.

Pump running:
Raise FC to 10.
Wait 10 minutes. Test.
If FC loss > 50 %, repeat.

Repeat until you get a very small or no loss.

I just had my son test again and we are still at zero.

Since last night, have added more than a gallon.

He is adding all the remaining chlorine on-hand about, about 80 oz but to bring it up to 10, I need 153oz. We will test again in 30 min.

You are overtesting and underSLAMming! Skip the ammonia (you don't have it) and SLAM the pool. Don't be stingy with the chlorine. Dose it right up to the FC SLAM Level and then make it your job to keep it there, regardless of the consumption.

Before you know it, it'll start to stay in your pool longer and longer.

You are overtesting and underSLAMming! Skip the ammonia (you don't have it) and SLAM the pool. Don't be stingy with the chlorine. Dose it right up to the FC SLAM Level and then make it your job to keep it there, regardless of the consumption.

Before you know it, it'll start to stay in your pool longer and longer.

I wasn't trying to SLAM just yet but realizing that might be in my future. Did not know why the chlorine would be disappearing so quickly. Still not sure because ammonia would eat the CYA as well if I understand correctly.

My son tested again a bit ago after adding the chlorine and it is now showing 2ppm. I will be picking up more on my way home and work on slamming it tonight. Bummer since we have a pool party scheduled for this weekend.

pool party may not be in jeopardy - as duraleigh says, get it up to SLAM level right now and do whatever you have to do to keep it there - if the water still looks good, you may have caught it in time to stop the pool from going swamp on you - and as long as the FC is at or below SLAM level, people can swim anyway - I have had a couple times where something unusual happened, and the FC cratered to zero - but if I caught it right away while everything still looked good, I could knock it up to SLAM level right away and have everything calmed down in a couple days - but the key is do not hesitate - get it up there and keep it up there - dose, test, dose, test, dose, test - at first test and dose as often as you can, hourly or better if possible - the faster you get it up and the better you keep it up the faster you will get it under control - and if it is dropping fast at first, it will slow down before too long

be sure to review the SLAM procedure and do everything it says including brushing and keeping the filter cleaned

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC 32.5
CC 0 - maybe .5

I had to add some water as it was low but did that about an hour before the last test. Brushed and vacuumed. Water is perfectly clear and nothing growing anywhere that we can see.

Will see what it is in the morning.

You caught something or that stuff did something BUT it is all good now. Know you can swim as long as your FC is just under your SLAM level for you CYA using this chart:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I would keep is at SLAM lever until just before your party. Let it go down for the party THEN push it back up to kill anything left and what they add while swimming.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.