Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak unfound

1. Back To Top    #1

Manassas, VA

Leak unfound

Fellow pool lovers...

I have a 31'x16' oval AGP, permanent, metal frame with vinyl liner. I had closed up the pool and thought my winter was going to be a breeze, but after substantial snows and they melted, I noticed the pool dropped by 1/2. By the time I took the cover off last Sunday, I had about a foot of water. I noticed during the winter a buildup of water on the side, under the deck, so naturally I suspected that when I do take the cover off, I'd find my leak on that side. Today I put in florescent dye to find this leak and couldn't find anywhere suspicious. No holes, no rips, over the seams... it is maddening. I just used the hose to add more water and see where it is. I'm going to let the water calm before attempting a new dye detection.

I did anticipate the leak being where the water line was, but I had to take into account the pool cover was full of water and debris, thus pushing the surrounding in-pool water up a bit. I'm hoping adding water would show me a new area to focus on.

Another quick q: should I fill the pool professionally and then attempt to find the leak? I feel the heavy water load might expose a tear that with pressure leaks more than the piddly bit of water I currently have. Thank you all for your time.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Leak unfound

Welcome to TFP

You are correct in thinking the leak is where the water will stop going down, so by adding some it should stop at the leak now trying to find the leak is the not so fun part..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **