Mysterious Increase in FC

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
My chlorine has increased from 6.0 to 26.0 in a matter of two days.

In that time-frame, the only changes that occurred were: 1. installation of a solar cover, and 2. Autopilot changed it's percentage from 30% to 87% due to temperature increase. I have not added any external sources of chlorine.

In my searching the forum for this issue, the only other case turned out to be the OP testing the water with the wrong reagents. I can assure you that is not the case here. I'm a long-time user of the TF-100 test kit, I have brand new reagents that I received 10 days ago and I've even repeated the test multiple times since last night's discovery. Even this morning, I read 26.0. (So no overnight loss, yay!)

Prior to installing the solar cover, my readings from last week included 5.5, 2.5, 8.0, 7.0 and 6.0 as I was dialing in my SWG percentage after SLAM was finished. CC has been zero with all post-SLAM tests. Everything was fine at 6.0 for several days prior to installing the solar cover.

I can only assume that the solar cover has eliminated FC loss due to sunlight, and this caused a build up of FC even more-so because the SWG raised it's percentage quite a bit.

So the question is: what to do about it? For now, I'll be removing the cover during the day. I have also reduced the SWG to 0% until I get back to a normal range.

I'm concerned about this upcoming weekend which is our first pool party. What is the highest FC that is still considered safe for swimming? If things aren't in check within a day or so, would it be crazy to intentionally introduce some leaves or grass clippings in a net to try and "use up" some of the FC?

Btw, the solar cover is a Blue Wave 20-Feet x 40-Feet Rectangular 12-mil Solar Blanket, purchased from Amazon.

Thanks for any and all feedback,

Kelly

By turning up your SWG, then covering the pool, you have done two things:
1. Increased FC production
2. Protected from FC loss

So, yes, your FC will go up. :)

Turn off the SWG, uncover the pool, and FC will go down naturally.

You can swim up to shock level as calculated by Pool Math. It'll go down pretty quickly though, I bet.

Ok thanks Robbie. Lesson learned: If I choose to cover during the day, turn SWG off.

Looks like my shock level is 31.0, so by your safety criteria I should be fine. Looking forward to tonight's test result - did I understand right that rate of FC loss is proportional to FC? So a higher FC dissipates faster than a lower FC would?

Chiming in with an update:

Last night's test showed FC at 19.5, so a loss of 6.5 during the day yesterday. Cover is off again today, so looks like I'm well on my way to enjoying the pool this weekend. :cool:

We've made it standard daily procedure to remove cover in the morning, replace it in the evening.

Now... the real trick is going to be: Remembering to turn the SWG back on when FC drops to acceptable level!:eek:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.