Light strip black in areas, can I clean it?

I know... which is scary. Its a sealed fiber optic strip. Runs out of the pool shell underground. Replacing it is going to be a huge pain (no idea even if its possible). If I could I would switch to an LED light strip, but it runs under the patio....

It is the original light strip (fiber optic), and the pool is about 13 years old (or so). I opened the pool up last weekend to find it like this. :(

I did not know you could not install a new strip, or at least replace it with something new (led). I came across some pool supply companies selling LED style strips and thought maybe they are used in the same manner.

While many of the ads imply or say that you can use the LED strips in pools none of the strips I have seen are UL listed (or have any listing at all) much less a UL listing for use in a pool. Many of the strips are self certified with a waterproof rating ie "IP 65." But that is not a electrical safety rating.

The NEC requires that all lights installed in a pool be "listed." That's electrician talk for a UL certification.

But fiber optic has no electricity within five feet of the pool so the NEC restrictions don't apply.

I'd be interested in seeing what pool supply companies are selling LED strips. You can PM me with that if you want to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.