Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light strip black in areas, can I clean it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Light strip black in areas, can I clean it?

I have a built in light strip around the inside of my pool. Over the winter parts of it turned black. I am not sure what it is, but the pool brush can not scrub it off. I even tried a power washer and still no luck. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

Here is what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/BhX3Cw4.jpg

Thanks!
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light strip black in areas, can I clean it?

Gee, you would think a power washer would remove just about anything. What is your light (cover) made of? I wonder how porous it is. Any chance the black film is actually inside the light or under the cover?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know... which is scary. Its a sealed fiber optic strip. Runs out of the pool shell underground. Replacing it is going to be a huge pain (no idea even if its possible). If I could I would switch to an LED light strip, but it runs under the patio....
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

4. Back To Top    #4

I suspect its the adhesive you used.

An LED strip violates the NEC.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

It is the original light strip (fiber optic), and the pool is about 13 years old (or so). I opened the pool up last weekend to find it like this.

I did not know you could not install a new strip, or at least replace it with something new (led). I came across some pool supply companies selling LED style strips and thought maybe they are used in the same manner.

6. Back To Top    #6

While many of the ads imply or say that you can use the LED strips in pools none of the strips I have seen are UL listed (or have any listing at all) much less a UL listing for use in a pool. Many of the strips are self certified with a waterproof rating ie "IP 65." But that is not a electrical safety rating.

The NEC requires that all lights installed in a pool be "listed." That's electrician talk for a UL certification.

But fiber optic has no electricity within five feet of the pool so the NEC restrictions don't apply.

I'd be interested in seeing what pool supply companies are selling LED strips. You can PM me with that if you want to.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall