cholrine tabs....can they go bad?

ik95

Apr 8, 2016
NJ
Hi All! Happy 90 degree weather here in NJ today. Just slammed our pool last night. Water this morning looks like expected :D:D:D:D. Progress is on...

Question- We purchased our home recently, and there was a bucket of chlorine left in the shed. Can it go bad? Looks OLD...but still have white color

Reason I asked is the on the bucket is says its suppose to be tabs, put its all powered form now, and it was left uncovered. I tried to smell it. No chlorine smell at all.

Will this still work OR should not bother with it and toss it?

:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:

Also, with purchase of new tabs 3 inch. Where do they have best price for best quality?

I'm debating to buy 40 pounds for $78- at Costco. OR 5lbs for $23 at Lowes....I don't want to waste it like previous owner did...

You know you are asking about tabs in a group of folks who only use tabs in unusual circumstances (vacation, for example), right? :)

If you constantly use tablets, you are going to end up with CYA so high you can't properly chlorinate your pool.

I get the feeling that you are not understanding our system. A SLAM is not a one night addition of chlorine, but a specific procedure that is followed, verified by testing that there is nothing growing in the water.

Now, back to the tabs. In most cases we try to convince folks not to uses tabs for every day chlorination. For each tab you add, almost half is stabilizer. So, using them every day drives up the CYA level way too high. But, with that being said, some can use them if they live in a northern climate that requires a significant draining of water each winter to close the pool.

Post a full set of test results so we can see how you stand.

Now, to the original question, I would not uses tabs that have degraded to powder. If kept dry they last almost forever, but in an uncovered container you can already see what happens. I always keep them around for emergency use and buy the biggest bucket from Costco.

You know you are asking about tabs in a group of folks who only use tabs in unusual circumstances (vacation, for example), right? :)

If you constantly use tablets, you are going to end up with CYA so high you can't properly chlorinate your pool.

No I'm new to all this. LOT OF LEARNING...but will get there..thanks for the feedback

If the pucks are now powder, they got wet. They're ruined. The chlorine got released and dissipated into the air. I suppose there's still some CYA in the dust, but I wouldn't know how to figure out what strength that might be. Spread the powder on a patch of weedy ground and hope the acidity kills the weeds or hang onto it until the next hazmat collection day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.