Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to worry about CYA or pH in MD?

1. Back To Top    #1

Potomac, MD

Do I need to worry about CYA or pH in MD?

In MD, the pool is open for only 3 months. Afterwards, more than 1/2 the water is drained.

If I'm replacing the water every season, do I need to worry about CYA and pH? The reason I ask is that I have a bucket of Omega Chlor Sticks 99.3% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione (Tri-Chlor), which raises FC and CYA and lowers pH.

I'm guessing that people use this in MD because water is being replaced every year?

Outdoor concrete pool, 14,000 gallons, Purex Triton Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: Do I need to worry about CYA in MD?

Nope, use them.

TFP isn't about throwing out stuff from the store, it's more about knowing the effects of what you use.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Yes, you do need to worry about PH, keep it between 7.2 and 7.8. I would use trichlor until the CYA gets to about 50 and then switch to bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If you're replacing that much water, I doubt CYA buildup will ever be a problem. Just keep tabs on the test results and if it gets too high and/or the tabs aren't dissolving fast enough to maintain the FC, supplement with bleach. Trichlor is very acidic, so watch the pH and TA. A little-known factoid about poolmath.... The last row labelled Suggested Goal Levels has a dropdown option for trichlor as a chlorine source. It will then autofill suggested levels for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Aberdeen, MD

Re: Do I need to worry about CYA or pH in MD?

3 months? Mine is already open
    13,000 Gallon AG Vinyl, Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Single Speed @ 80GPM, Hayward XStream 100SF Cartridge Filter