Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test kit question

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kit question

Hello everybody. I've been reading and getting suggestions all winter and it's finally time to open the pool. I have an Intex oval frame 10x18. 2885 gallons and it's on its third year. I just recently (winter) discovered this site and want to go this route this year.
    I have a question about test kits. In my Amazon cart I have the Taylor 2006 fas/dpd kit, but it says that it will be a couple weeks before shipping. I was at Meijer today and saw an Fas (no DPD) test kit for 12 dollars. It said 12 way test kit. It has chlorine, bromine, ph, cya, etc....

My question is What is DPD? I searched the site, bit didn't really find what I was looking for. Google turned up quite a bit, but I was really hoping to find something on TFP to answer this. Will this 12 way kit from Meijer be enough until the Taylor kit can be shipped? And what is the advantage of the DPD portion of the kit?

Thank you guys.

Nick

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kit question

Order the TF-100 from tftestkits.net and you'll have it sooner, and you'll have more reagents.

The FAS-DPD test allows you to test at FC over 10.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

I think you misread the Meijer kit, there is a DPD test and an FAS-DPD test (and I am willing to bet you won't find either at Meijer and certainly not for $12). The DPD test is in the Taylor k-2005 and works by matching shades of pink. The FAS-DPD kit works by counting drops to get up to 0.2 ppm accuracy in both FC and CC measurements. It is far easier and much more precise than a DPD or OTO test (the yellow color match one). You can't really fully do TFPC without an FAS-DPD kit.

I recommend cancelling your Amazon order and heading over to TFTestkits.net and picking up the TF-100. It comes with all the tests you need, a standard solution so you can calibrate your CYA test correctly, and has much more reagents than a standard sized k-2006. I use it in my business and consider it worth the small premium. And before you ask, this is 100% an unpaid endorsement, it is just what I use and am extremely happy with.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the TF100 all I will need? No need to get the 2006 at a later date?

Thank you

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Unless you have a salt water chlorine generator and need a salt test the TF100 has all the tests you will need.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I love my TF-100! Also recommend including the "Speed Stir" for easy/efficient mixing. You won't regret it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the Taylor K-2006C with the speedstir. I am happy with my decision.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.