Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar heat in asphalt driveway?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar heat in asphalt driveway?

This probably doesn't help you. But I was thinking of doing a asphalt drive way and running like 6 - 100' 1/2" per loops in it. 6 loops would put me around 1 1/4" line equlivalent. Has anyone tried this before I heard if you want to put pex in asphalt you have to run water through it while the asphalt is cooling or the pex will melt and crush.
    18' round regatta AGP 52" wall
    1 HP Hayward turbo flow II pump
    Hayward XStream cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar heat in asphalt driveway?

Interesting thought. I don't think you'd want the Pex in the asphalt, but in the rock fill under it. I've often wished I had Pex loops in my pool deck to keep the concrete cooler and take advantage of the heat for the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

A company called Indeksolar does this under asphalt or embedded in the pool's concrete decking.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You can direct bury pex and embed it in concrete. As for the stress of being under an asphalt driveway I'm not sure it could handle it. Just the intense heat and vibration from installation of the driveway might kill it. Pex is only rated for a max temp of about 200 F and at that temp it gets very soft. Also road base material has a lot of sharp jagged rocks in it to help lock it together which is another strike against it. Then if the pex were ever to fail and wash out the base material under the asphalt you would be looking at a very costly repair to a driveway.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

Page 5, bullet 6 of the PEX Installation Manual states:

http://www.sunworksco.com/PEX_Instal...dbook_2006.pdf

"Do not use in swimming pool
    piping systems."

Apparently not compatible with high levels of chlorine. Maybe true, maybe not, but not the kind of application in which you'd want to invite failure.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I would also be concerned with pavement movement with asphalt, at least in my climate asphalt has a tendency to sag and swell depending on load (over time sags under the wheel path, etc.), it would not take much movement to shear the pipes.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~