Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where is "power rating" for a SWG cell listed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where is "power rating" for a SWG cell listed?

I have an RC-52 cell reading 1.9A. I keep reading about comparing the 1.9 A against the Power Rating. My question is where do I find this number? I don't see it listed on the cell??
    pete
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems
    use DIG-220 pool pilot SWG salt system: single manifold, RC-52 cell
    Coverstar automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Where is "power rating" for a SWG cell listed?

I do believe you are talking about the connected power, is it using 110v or 220v?

Watts/Volts/Amps/Ohms conversion calculator

if your SWG is at 110V and using that 1.9amps you are pulling 209 watts but if you are at 220v you are pulling 418 watts

Is this what you were asking?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the system working?

I believe AutoPilot has 3 settings for the power level and you need to set it in the menu if you are having problems.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

As ping mentioned there are three power settings on your Pool Pilot.

Power Level 1 = 5.0 Amps
    Power Level 2 = 6.5 Amps
    Power Level 3 = 8.0 Amps

In any scenario you have very low amps. However amps only tell us part of the picture. We'll also need to know your voltage.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

5. Back To Top    #5

I assumed it was 110 but looking at it hooked up it's 220, and the 1.5 Amps is checked. I run power level 2 but used 3 a bit. Was reading recently 28 V and 2.4 Amps on level 3 and 100% Purifier setting. I'm descaling now; Post treatment 27 V 2.5 A.

cell only about a year old....temp and salt sensors seem fine.
    Added CYA and Clarifier, will let things alone a few days before tackling "low amps" error message.....

salt is 3920 a bit high, pH 7.3, Ca at 400 ppm, CYA at < 20 ppm
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems

6. Back To Top    #6

Even though no error messages right now another thread gave me ideas to check to determine if I have some type of a cell issue:
    1. Double check to see exactly what voltage I have to unit.
    2. Run test pilot program in boost mode.
    3. Add salt to skimmer to see if I get a change in response for V and A. I better understand now that driving to lower volts gets my Amps higher but seems I'm far from about 6.5 at setting 2.......
    4. I now think when the manual speaks about checking Power rating they aren't referring to rating of cell but to settings of the DIG200.

i have plenty of salt in pool, about 3900 ppm and I never see above 3 amps. I'm on Setting 2. I cleaned cell and blades do not look worn. I assume my cable is OK.
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems

7. Back To Top    #7

Final update today...
    1. I confirmed 220 volts.
    2. I took off the main board and looked it over. Blew off dust and checked the 3 volt battery that does what I don't know. Sure I cleaned and checked it..
    3. I pulled the three terminal plug an tried to see if I could get some readings. Initially I got about 50 volts and then "oddly" it just drifted down to about 1 volt.....tried checking amperage but don't think I was doing properly.
    4. I cleaned the posts with some sand paper and then reconnected.
    5. Now reading 10 V and 6.5 A in test mode, power level 2.
    conclusion is good? What if any of it was key I don't know, but I'll take it..I'm betting on #4.

spoke too soon, 28 V 2.4 amps....got to be bad cell??
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll reply in this original thread about your other question about testing the cable, as it is best to keep all the post relating to the same subject in the same thread. See if you can delete your cable question thread or have a mod move it here.

I don't know of any test other than installing a new cable for the cable itself.

Have you inspected the capacitors on the power module? Look for any type of bulging on the capacitors or any burnt surfaces near them.

Run the test program a few times in a row to see what numbers you get. Each time you do it, the cell should switch polarity and that will detect if one side of the cell is bad.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

I saw nothing amiss in board. I took off the trisensor and it looked fine. I reinstalled and am in reverse mode for awhile..it reads 0 volts and 6.5 amps...and I get a "check flow purifier off" error. Screen is clean as all filters...I wonder now if I damaged the flow sensor wire connection in the hub....which might drive the voltage to zero...? just gets funner and funner.
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems

10. Back To Top    #10

I had broken internal wiring in trisensor. At least that helps explain some of this
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems

11. Back To Top    #11

New trisensor wiring is good. I had my pool company come out to diagnose the continuing issue. Naively I thought they would be checking various voltages, amperage, ohms, you know, electrical stuff. What I got was cleaning my pump basket filter, cleaning the cell, and running test mode......high volts low amps...need new cell. Really, that's the in depth diagnosis? Not that I disagree with the conclusion but I wanted more "testing" since I ran all the same tests and still had questions. Oh well. I'll be chatting with the company owner. Anyway, I just bought a new cell for about $370 with a rebate. We'll see.....my own approach to diagnosis is to swap out stuff and test.
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems

12. Back To Top    #12

New cell..setting 1 yields 5 DC amps. Case solved. I suspect the former cell body had a crack/leak since I had noticed a damp cell terminal....maybe I could seal leak or I'll dissect cell to study it. And, am not being charged for visit by pool company. Got cell from http://saltpoolguys.com/

very happy with speed of order.
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl, heated by Rheems