Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie to the pool game. Recommendations.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie to the pool game. Recommendations.

Hi everyone.

I just got my tf-100 test kit and got these results

Fc 9.5
    Cc .5
    Ch 1500
    Ta 150
    Cya 80
    Ph 7.5

https://i.imgur.com/7DAcufD.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/HQqaq8L.jpg
    Is the current look.

I see that the CH is pretty high (live in Southern California and we do have hard water) do I need to do anything about that or focus on other things?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie to the pool game. Recommendations.

Welcome!

Finally, someone who has got me beat. I feel like such a slacker at 1000.

Yes, you do need to deal with the high CH. If you plug your numbers into poolmath, you'll see that the CSI is above .6. What that means is that you're going to start growing Calcium scale, if you haven't already. If you're unsure what that is, it starts out as grey or tan rough blotches and will eventually end up as grow-your-own sandpaper that will cause roadrash on any elbows, knees, shoulders, or ankles that scrape against it.

One warning, though: your CH test may not be accurate. My CH dropped from 700 to 500 just by using a speedstir when I tested. The CH test takes a long time and a lot of swirling when the numbers get up there, and it's human nature to just add more drops rather than wait for the reaction.

But even if you're only at 1000, it's too high. You have to be obsessive with managing pH and TA to keep the CSI in the neutral zone.

There are really only two solutions. 1) Drain and replace some water 2) Spend some big ducats and have reverse osmosis done. Replacement is still cheaper, unless your particular water company is levying huge penalties.

I periodically use pool water on the lawn and then replenish with what I didn't use for irrigation. It's a slow process and a real PITA, but it beats a massive water bill and menacing letters from the water company. In my case, 3" is 5% of my pool volume. So you can see how even a small partial change could have immediate effects. If you replaced 5%, your CH would go down by 75 ppm. That's three fewer drops of R-0012. You'll notice that when you test.

One final pointer: the TF100 uses Taylor reagents. So you can buy more R-0012 at the local pool store when you run out. That one is usually stocked.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Very nice looking pool! I would however also recommend adding your pool type and equipment to your signature. It will help us later when we evaluate your situation(s). Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Welcome!

Finally, someone who has got me beat. I feel like such a slacker at 1000.

Yes, you do need to deal with the high CH. If you plug your numbers into poolmath, you'll see that the CSI is above .6. What that means is that you're going to start growing Calcium scale, if you haven't already. If you're unsure what that is, it starts out as grey or tan rough blotches and will eventually end up as grow-your-own sandpaper that will cause roadrash on any elbows, knees, shoulders, or ankles that scrape against it.

One warning, though: your CH test may not be accurate. My CH dropped from 700 to 500 just by using a speedstir when I tested. The CH test takes a long time and a lot of swirling when the numbers get up there, and it's human nature to just add more drops rather than wait for the reaction.

But even if you're only at 1000, it's too high. You have to be obsessive with managing pH and TA to keep the CSI in the neutral zone.

There are really only two solutions. 1) Drain and replace some water 2) Spend some big ducats and have reverse osmosis done. Replacement is still cheaper, unless your particular water company is levying huge penalties.

I periodically use pool water on the lawn and then replenish with what I didn't use for irrigation. It's a slow process and a real PITA, but it beats a massive water bill and menacing letters from the water company. In my case, 3" is 5% of my pool volume. So you can see how even a small partial change could have immediate effects. If you replaced 5%, your CH would go down by 75 ppm. That's three fewer drops of R-0012. You'll notice that when you test.

One final pointer: the TF100 uses Taylor reagents. So you can buy more R-0012 at the local pool store when you run out. That one is usually stocked.

i actually do have a speedstir. How long should I wait in between drops? I do have some graying on the tiles though.
    20k gallons. System 3 S8D110 DE, Pentair VS 342001

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by decimate5262 View Post
    i actually do have a speedstir. How long should I wait in between drops? I do have some graying on the tiles though.
    Since I know roughly where I'm going to be, I add a whole bunch of drops at once and let it run a cycle. If you tested using the speedstir, your reading is probably pretty darn close to what you are.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Since I know roughly where I'm going to be, I add a whole bunch of drops at once and let it run a cycle. If you tested using the speedstir, your reading is probably pretty darn close to what you are.

when tests go clear and then turn back to pink after a minute or for example after I stop the speed stir what does that mean?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by decimate5262 View Post
    when tests go clear and then turn back to pink after a minute or for example after I stop the speed stir what does that mean?
    Do you mean the FC/CC test or the CH test? On the chlorine test, ignore it if goes pink again after more than say, 15 seconds.

If you're taling CH, you might be such a pale blue it looks clear. Try using 5 drops of R-0011 next time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you mean the FC/CC test or the CH test? On the chlorine test, ignore it if goes pink again after more than say, 15 seconds.

If you're taling CH, you might be such a pale blue it looks clear. Try using 5 drops of R-0011 next time.
    Gotcha. Honestly, I can't remember what it happened on. I will be doing another test tomorrow so I will be able to double check all of my findings.

When the tests just begin to change color/go clear is that when you have your result or do you continue until the color doesn't change anymore? The test kit instructions weren't very clear on that part so I went until the color didn't change anymore after adding.

9. Back To Top    #9

You did the test right, then. When the last drop makes no difference, you stop and deduct it.

10. Back To Top    #10

You did the test right, then. When the last drop makes no difference, you stop and deduct it.
    Awesome thanks!

Also, what is a reliable way to measure the capacity of my pool. As you can see, I have a semi-odd shape from the pics in my first post.

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: pool volume, you can log your chemical additions, and see if you're consistently under-shooting or over-shooting what the result should be, as shown in PoolMath, and then compensate.

Or you can use averages, e.g. by measuring width in, say, 7 equally spaced places and using the average. Same for length and depth - if it's warm enough PoolMath has a calculator at the bottom, and if you use the averaging method, select rectangular pool.

There's a chemical way: A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume, but you need to have enough TA reagents on hand.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

12. Back To Top    #12

New readings as of today.

Fc 7.5
    Cc 0
    Ch - 1250
    Ta 110
    Cya 80

i added some water to try and get the ch down. Seems to have helped.