Hose from skimmer to ground?

May 25, 2016
Lancaster
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just bought my first house a couple of months ago and I was lucky enough to get an above ground pool with it. I have looked up a lot of different filtration setups today and haven't been able to figure out what one of the hoses I have is. A house comes out from the skimmer then it splits. One end goes into the pump which I understand but the other end seems to have a valve and go into the ground. I turned the valve and water ran into the filter (haven't turned it on yet I'm still filling the pool). I'm not sure how deep into the ground it goes or what the point of the hose is. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

20160525_223709.jpg

Welcome to TFP and congratulations on the pool! To answer your question, that hose could be attached to a main drain on the bottom of your pool. Some above grounds have them installed. Their purpose is to increase water circulation by helping eliminate the dead zones towards the bottom. They aren't completely necessary but if you have one we would be happy to help you with any questions you may have!

It's going to be a little while before I can do that. The cover they used was horrible and not correctly put on so the water is really gross. I'm going to shock it and run the filter for a while tomorrow and then try to vacuum it out as much as I can but I know this is going to be a long process. Right now I can't see more than a foot or two down. Like I said turning the valve made water run to the pump so I assume that is where I am going to want to keep the valve but that really is just an assumption.

I have hth 6 way test strips that I use for my hot tub that say they can be used for pools as well. I plan on chlorinating with a floating dispenser with Pool Mate 3 inch tabs and Arm & Hammer clear balance tabs as needed for ph and alkalinity on a regular basis. For the shock I have 4 gallons of vertex pool shock. It's a 15,000 gallon pool if you need to know that as well.

Thanks for all of the information. Here's a few tips that I would love to share with you. I'll lay them out in a bullet format:
-Please consider using a drop based test kit(such as the TF100). Test strips are very inaccurate. When balancing your pool chemically, accuracy is key.
-When it comes to chemicals for your pool, consider what we call the "BBB" method. BBB stands for Bleach, Baking Soda, and Borax. You use regular store bought bleach for your chlorine input. Bleach and liquid chlorine you would buy at a pool store have the same active ingredient which is sodium hypochlorite. Literally the same chemical just different packaging.
-For PH up, Borax will do the trick or soda ash. Both, just like with Bleach, are literally the same chemical as "PH up" sold at the pool store. Just cheaper!
-Baking soda is another over the counter alternative to "alkalinity up" sold at pool stores. Same chemical, just cheaper.
-I'm not sure if you are currently using powdered shocks or chlorine tablets, but all of these add chemicals you either don't need period, or don't want too much of. For instance, tablets let off Stabilizer(cyanauric acid) as a by product constantly as they dissolve in your pool. Too much of this, and your chlorine loses its effectiveness.

All of this information and more can be found if you click the "pool school" link on the top right hand corner of this site. It's filled with priceless information to make your life a whole lot easier(and cheaper) when managing your pool. Please read it you will not regret it.

Awesome I'll have to order that kit tonight. Also really appreciate the heads up on the BBB method. I do have another question. I ordered an automatic vacuum for my pool. Do you think I should stick with the manual vacuum until I get the color to a more clear point or should I use it to clean up the really dirty water. I worry that using it when the water is really dirty like it is now may drastically shorten it's lifespan.

What I would do in your situation is get a leaf rake attachment for my pole. I would then scoop ALL of the organic debris from the bottom of the pool out. That stuff is just sitting on the bottom consuming your chlorine. That needs to be your number one priority. Also, keep your pump running 24/7 until your water is crystal clear. Anytime your pressure on your sand filter rises by 25% of its clean value, backwash it. Do you know how to backwash the filter?

I believe so. Connect the backwash hose, turn off the pump, change the filter setting to backwash, run until the water in the little clear dome is clear, then rinse until the dome water is clear again.
What I don't know is what my clean value is. How do I find that out?

On your multi port valve head, there should be a pressure gauge. Right after back washing take note of the reading. That is your clean pressure reading. Do not backwash your filter until it rises by 25% however. Sand filters filter better as they get dirtier. The debris that gets caught on top of the sand helps filter out finer particles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.