Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating pool volume...

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating pool volume...

Hey All,

Well, finally the new liner is in and i should have new water ready to go by tomorrow afternoon. As I begin to ready myself for a fresh start I began to question what I always assumed was a 17,500 gallon pool volume. I remember doing a cursory calculation last season based on measuring the length and trying my best to average the width of my freeform shaped pool but I'd like to have as accurate a reading as possible to make sure I'm putting the correct info into the pool calculator when figuring my chemistry.

I now have the detailed measurements from the vinyl liner installation but really can't wrap my brain around how to figure out the volume with the data that I have.

Any chance one of you pool geeks could give me an idea of how far off my 17.5k estimate is in real life? Below is the blueprint for the new liner. I was really hoping that the pool volume would be included in their measurements but, alas, it's not.

In Ground 17,500 Gallon Freeform Vinyl Liner - Hayward S220T Sand Filter - Hayward Super II Pump - Kreepy Krawly Kruiser Cleaner
    If I had a dollar for every time I told my wife that there's no way we're buying a house with a pool, I'd have enough money to install the pool that came with the house we bought!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculating pool volume...

Unfortunately there's no simple method of getting a more exact volume from that schematic unless one loaded it into a decent CAD program and rendered it in 3D.

That said, there is a fairly accurate chemical method of figuring out your pool volume - A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

Downside is, it uses a lot of TA reagent from your test kit.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I would start at 16k or 17k and see how your chlorine additions match up with Poolmath and tweak from there.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay. So, initial test results are as follows:

FC = 8.8
    CC = 0.0
    Ph = 7.3
    TA = 40
    CYA = 0
    Temp = 72*

Yesterday I added 1 gallon of Clorox and 5 tricolor pucks to the feeder to help bring up the CYA.

Assuming 16k gallons, how'm I doin'?
    In Ground 17,500 Gallon Freeform Vinyl Liner - Hayward S220T Sand Filter - Hayward Super II Pump - Kreepy Krawly Kruiser Cleaner
    If I had a dollar for every time I told my wife that there's no way we're buying a house with a pool, I'd have enough money to install the pool that came with the house we bought!

5. Back To Top    #5

Test 30 min after adding your chlorine, with pump running. See if it matches your estimates in Pool Math. After a few times, you'll have a really good idea of the volume of your pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Test 30 min after adding your chlorine, with pump running. See if it matches your estimates in Pool Math. After a few times, you'll have a really good idea of the volume of your pool.
    Well, I added the Clorox yesterday so it's too late for that. The pucks, I'm guessing, will last about 4 or 5 days which I figured would be about the right time to test for CYA again.

Should I try to raise the Ph any? Or the TA?

7. Back To Top    #7

A pH of 7.3 doesn't bother me, but those pucks are going to lower it even further. You might shoot for 7.5-7.6 and see what happens. TA really depends on if you experience pH swings. If you stabilize, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you get swings you need to raise it. Most of us fight to get TA down, so you are on the "lucky" side.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!