Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolskim VERY noisy

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolskim VERY noisy

I just got my new poolskim in time for helicopter season and it works great. However, I am surprised at how loud it is. I have a 1.5hp two speed pump (Hayward) and when it runs on high speed the pool skim sounds like an airplane toilet flushing . I can't imaging the neighbours putting up with it for long. Unfortunately, my pump includes a built-in timer that does not allow me to use low speed on-demand. The closest setting is 6 hours of high speed, followed by 18 hours of low speed. I have no idea why that is but I am stuck with it. Hayward tech support confirmed there is nothing I can do (its a 120V and cannot be rewired like a 240V pump can).

Anyone else have issues with the noise, and any tips on solving it? I have tried a couple different height configurations but nothing produces anything close to the "zen" sound it produces on low speed. Sounds more like this video (not mine) that I found posted on youtube:

https://youtu.be/A2ORAXKFy-o

My pool is an 18 foot (above ground).

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Poolskim VERY noisy

Welcome to TFP

I think it is just loud while on high..

My question is what pump and timer do you have, most can be adjusted but it depends on what equipment you have, could you please fill out your equipment as that will help us.. Trouble Free Pool

Thanks
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome! I have updated my signature to include my equipment. I have no timer other than the one built into the pump (it's a plug in 120V model). It works on the Hayward "beep" system. The 4 settings are:

24 hours on HI
    18 hours on HI, then 6 hours on LO
    12 hours on HI, then 12 hours on LO
    6 hours on HI, then 18 hours on LO

So there is no way to keep it on low speed all day. There is no way to bypass these timer settings and no low speed switch.
    POOL: 18' Taiga Zone "Balzac" (above ground, cedar walls, purchased at Trevi) PUMP: Hayward SP33152ETB 1.5HP (2 speed) FILTER: Hayward XStream Cartridge 200 sq ft

4. Back To Top    #4

Couple things you can try. Set it a bit deeper below the water level. You can also slide that blue ring down an inch or 2.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.