Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dreaded Chlorox Splash-less Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Dreaded Chlorox Splash-less Bleach

Unfortunately I purchased 2 large 116 oz. bottles of Chlorox Splash-less bleach thinking it was just a splash-less pour spout. I realize now there is another chemical mixed in it to thicken it, and should not be used in the pool.

After opening last week I emptied both bottles on consecutive days into my 22,000 gallon vanishing edge pool, and also poured some directly into my vanishing edge basin (3' x 15' x 4' deep). The next day the basin was filled with foam. There is no foam issues in the main pool area at all. I have probably scooped the foam out of the basin over 30 times (because I am OCD about the pool). Anyway, it's been a week now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I've read on several other threads here, that after 3-5 days it should dissipate. I cleaned the filters and that hasn't helped. Should I just be more patient? Will it definitely go away eventually? Should I toss in some anti foam liquid meant for hot tubs into the basin? Should I drain out some of the basin and refill with my water? I really hate doing that because I'm on a well and even though I have a decent home filter system, my well has heavy iron content that can sneak through. Any advice is greatly appreciated. This site has been a Godsend for me and you guys are so incredibly helpful to everyone. Thanks. Jeff

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dreaded Chlorox Splash-less Bleach

The foam will go away as the chlorine goes away..... Just go find regular plain bleach.

....and have they shrunken the bottles from 121 ounces already?? Used to be gallons were a full 128 ounces. What a rip. geesh.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

It just takes a while since this additive was designed to be shelf stable in bleach
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Regular bleach and patience will clear it. Don't add anything extra unless you have a pool party planned or something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you everyone. Patience is a virtue, but unfortunately one I don't possess. At least I know it will go away in due time.

Richard, you mention "adding regular bleach will clear it"....I have an SWG and my chlorine level is sitting pretty @ 6, so I don't need to add bleach. Are you saying I should still add it? Will it help expedite the removal of the "bad" Chlorox ingredient?
    22K Gunite Infinity Pool, Pentair Easytouch system with Screenlogic Interface, 2 Pentair Intelliflo VS Pumps, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliPH Acid injection system, Blue Granite Pebblesheen,

6. Back To Top    #6

Just leave things like they are and it will break down in time
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Wilky View Post
    Thank you everyone. Patience is a virtue, but unfortunately one I don't possess. At least I know it will go away in due time.

Richard, you mention "adding regular bleach will clear it"....I have an SWG and my chlorine level is sitting pretty @ 6, so I don't need to add bleach. Are you saying I should still add it? Will it help expedite the removal of the "bad" Chlorox ingredient?
    I missed that you have a SWG. You're making your own bleach onsite. Ignore that part.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!