New IC40, unopened green pool, and pipe size question

Sep 1, 2015
Albany NY
Greetings,

I am in the process of replumbing my system after buying a new pump and installing an IC40. I didnt open the pool yet so its pretty green. Im actually replacing the liner but I think I need to clean up the water so the pool guy can measure for a new liner. So given that, I want to run the system and clean up the water so he can measure.

I was thinking about waiting until the new liner is installed to install the IC40 because I didnt want all the green garbage in the pool going through the IC40. The filter will catch most of it I presume. I havent primed it with DE yet this year either so for the first few minutes or more it will be all algae. Looking to see if the IC40 will be okay if I install it now, or if I should wait until the water is cleaned up?

Also, the unions that came with the IC40 are 2" ID and maybe 2.5" OD, whatever the standard is. All of my piping is 1.5". Do I just get some reducing couplings or something? I tried to find pictures online of other installs with 1.5" piping and didnt have much luck. I cant seem to find 2" to 1 1/2" reducing couplings at Lowe's or HD.

Im including a photo of what I have done so far. Please critique as nothing is glued in on the suction and return. (Everything on the push/pull valve is existing and therefore glued. The only thing in that region not glued is the OEM union on the return side of the pump) The 90 coming out of the top of the push/pull valve is where my glue stops so I have some freedom to make changes. The plan is to place the IC40 where that long stretch of horizontal pipe is just before the return-side 3-way valve. (the valves are also new and unglued)

Lastly, I noticed in the instructions NOT to bond the power generator to the pool pump. Do I just insert a grounding rod into the ground in addition to the green ground wire coming from the panel (timer)?

Thanks for all your comments. Lets hope that picture posts.

Yes, the cell will be fine during a SLAM. And yes to a 2 to 1-1/2 reducer from lowes/hd to plumb it in. Plumbing looks good.

I don't know about the bonding. But, it is important to get it right. And bonding is NOT grounding, they serve two different functions and you need both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.