First time SLAM

May 17, 2016
Brandon, MS
First time slammer here...at least the TFP way.

I raised chlorine last night to 38 fc to rid pool of mild mustard algae (I must be overestimating gallonage of pool).

After 2hours, reading was 34. 12 hours later at 27. After 24 hours, fc is 12 and cc is 0.5. I raised back to 24. I have been brushing and have cleaned pool toys with bleach solution. Should this take care of problem? Will the sand filter eventually remove all dead algae, or will vacuuming be necessary? Thanks!

Greg, be careful with the FC. If you go to the Mustard Algae page, you'll see that the treatment for MA is the same as a regular SLAM. You'll maintain the normal SLAM/Shock level until all 3 SLAM criteria have passed, THEN you increase FC to the higher MA level as noted on the Poolmath Calculator, but even then only for 24 hours. I just want you to be careful for your liner. As the bleach slowly kills the algae, yes , the filter will eventually collect the material.

Thanks to all! Thanks, Texas Splash...I misread the part about the regular SLAM followed by MA chlorine levels. I never intended to get chlorine higher than 24. I have measured my pool with a tape measure and I'm still calculating 25,000 gallons. Puzzling!

The Poolmath calculator is a good tool to help you validate gallon capacity. You might also consider trying chemical adjustments with something else later (i.e. TA) when the opportunity presents itself. When you don't reach your target (or over-shoot it), you know the gallon capacity must be off if everything else is correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.