Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curious about spa usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Curious about spa usage

I'm truly curious to know if after you've had your pool and spa built, do you actually use the spa all that much? Is it worth the extra cost of the build?

Does your pool allow you to use the spa independently of the pool, say in the winter??

Do you prefer the pool spa to a stand-alone hot tub?

Would you change anything if you could have known?

This is a totally non-official subject that I'm interested in understanding better. I'm not shopping or looking for opinions for any other use than my own knowledge. Thanks in advance to those of you that respond.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Curious about spa usage

I'm truly curious to know if after you've had your pool and spa built, do you actually use the spa all that much? No. But it is popular with small children who come over. They can walk on the seat and keep their head above water.

Is it worth the extra cost of the build? It came with the house. I'd have preferred more pool.

Does your pool allow you to use the spa independently of the pool, say in the winter?? Yes

Do you prefer the pool spa to a stand-alone hot tub? No opinion

Would you change anything if you could have known? No choice

This is a totally non-official subject that I'm interested in understanding better. I'm not shopping or looking for opinions for any other use than my own knowledge. Thanks in advance to those of you that respond.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

We're in the process of building our pool now but my husband and I have both had pools in the past. We both used the spa and would probably not build a pool without one.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

4. Back To Top    #4

The house we bought came with a pool/spillover spa. In six years, we (wife & I) have used the spa about three times. It has seen some additional use during pool parties and the annual Final Four watch party that we host (on the latter event, spa usage is driven by the pool being a little chilly for most in early-April). Richard makes a good point about the benefits of a spa in regards to small kids. So, it all comes down to personal preference. In our case, given the relatively limited use of the spa by the two of us, we would probably forego the spa if we were building a pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

We were on the fence about a hot tub and our PB talked us out of it when we built the pool. It saved us $10-12k on the pool build. We like being in the water and missed the pool when it got cold so we bought a tub the first winter after we built the pool for around $5500. Somebody is in the tub at least a few times a week, nearly daily in the winter. It is amazing how 10-15 minutes in the hot tub eases the aches and pains. Not much use during summer though.

I used to really hate winter and two things make winter much more tolerable for me. A hot tub and a wood stove. Between those two things I can wear shorts and flip flops pretty much year round!

Pros for stand alone tub
    On a covered patio
    4 steps from the back door
    Much more comfy than sitting on gunite
    Better/more jets
    Better cover, insulated and always hot
    Makes the pool plumbing very simple

Cons
    None!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach