I was lost, and then I found TFP!

May 17, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Howdy, this is Ben in Lincoln, Ne. We moved in last spring to an old house with an old, but reliable pool. Last season it took me over a month to get the water good for swimming. This year, I started from the get-go with the TFP method (as opposed to the vague advice by pool store staff to "just keep shocking it"). My water went from swampy green to crystal clear and in range in 8 days this year! Getting a FAS-DPD kit really helped! The kids are already swimming. Water's a little cold yet for my taste, but they don't seem to mind.
I changed the sand last year. I add DE after backwash. Still seems like I get a lot of dead powdery material on the bottom, as well as floating material the skimmer doesnt seem to catch, even if the pump's on all day. I pretty much have to skim and vacuum manually every day to keep it clean. Chlorine level is consistent and in range for cya of 50 (I use bleach except when on vacation) There's little or no combined chlorine. Just ugly brown powder on the bottom. Doesn't matter how I play with skimmer/main drain valves. Any advice? I was thinking of getting a Pool Skim, but don't know if that would affect the stuff on the bottom much. I can't decide if it's stuff going through the filter, or stuff falling from the surface, or what.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Step one. conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to verify noting living in the water. "dead powdery material" gives me the uneasy feeling of a low level algae bloom that your chlorine level i skeeping just under full blown green stage.

If that is negative you are probably dealing with blown in debris and need to investigate some sort of automatic pool cleaner. My preference is a robot, but there are other options.

Oncde you get it under control its time to stop by Lazlo's Brewery or my favorite, Glacial Till Winery for "Fermented Fridays".

I'm hoping it's just stuff blowing in to the pool.

I did an oclt a few days ago, and I had less than 1 ppm chlorine loss. It was gobbling up chlorine quickly at first, but after that last test it took days for it to get into swimmable range, even with the relatively low cya. So I think it's dead. My biggest worry about a robot is the large wrunkles, especially in the deep end. I think this happened when the former owners let the water level rise up enough to spill behind a (now patched) tear in the corner. I know we'll have to get a new liner in the next couple years, but the liner we have is pretty thick and the wrinkles aren't getting bigger, so we're holding off for now. Will a robot work properly over the wrinkles? Some of the biggest ones are around the main drain, and are about and inch or so high.